Turn off Virtual Disk?

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Valder, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valder

Valder Registered Member

When I used previous versions of Returnil, it did not require me to have a Virtual Disk at all. I do not need it. It just eats resources. Is there a way to completely turn it off in current version or alternatively, where can I download the previous version without compulsory Virtual Disk?

I just need a simple, fast, no frills locked system with no fluff.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello Valder and welcome to the forums :)

First, you need to make sure you are clear about the difference between the cache and the Virtual Disk. The VD is a convenience feature (home > Tools > Virtual Disk) that allows you to create a space where you can save documents and data through a restart of the computer (IOW, the VD is a non-system partition when mounted and just an empty file when dismounted). This is not required however and if not used, has no effect on the performance of the System Safe virtualization feature.

The cache is what RVS uses to record and track changes to maintain the virtual system while System Safe is turned on. The new cache in 2010 combines the separate modes from the 2008 version into a single cache that is dynamic (only used when needed).

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.