Turn off the Windows Time service?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Saint Satin Stain, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    I use the clock Say The Time because I live alone most of the time. The voices that state the time keep me on schedule and focused.

I am on XP Pro SP 3, AMD Athlon 5000 Dual Core, ASUS M2N68-AM Plus

I don't know what info relevant. My question: Black Viper sez, disabled the Windows Time service. If I use a third party clock that has update service for time and date may I turn off Windows Time service?

2. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

XP-Antispy also disables the time service if you use it and do the suggested settings. My question is would disabling it affect daylight savings time or would you have to manually change it when the time changes.

Concerning your question about a third party clock...it may interfere with it if it uses the time service. The only way to tell is read the documentation and see if it says or try it for a while and see if there are any issues. You can always change it back if a problem comes up.

3. ABee

ABee Registered Member

You could always just ignore BlackViper on this one and leave the service enabled. ;)

You trying to save half a MB of memory, or something?
    If your machine is that starved for free memory, the tiny bit you save there isn't going to change anything.

BlackViper has some good suggestions, but his thoughts are not gospel, by any means.

It also appears 'Say The Time' very likely uses that service.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have had the time service disabled for as long as I can remember now. Once you set the time, it rarely changes anyway except for daylight savings. It is not needed IMO.

However, as has been stated, it isn't like it is that big a deal to leave on. Back when we had 256mb as standard memory, every mb you freed up was more to use. Things are a lot different now it seems.

If I were in your shoes, I would turn it off and try the program(s) in question. If things don't work, I would enable things until I found what was causing the issue. Then I would decide on which I wanted, the functionality of the application or the services turned off.

Whichever you choose will be fine I think.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.