TuneUp Utilities 2013 released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Narxis, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASM

ASM Registered Member

X-user here... frankly, no point upgrading... it's becoming a bloat-ware.

2. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

TuneUp has been around for ages, not until now it has a proper disk and browser cleaner...deleting restore points is what fooled people before that it cleaned out loads of files none other found...

3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

It doesn't clean temporary downloaded updates located in:

c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

With CCleaner, you can easily add that path. I wasn't able to easily find a way to add custom paths when I tried Tune Up Utilities a month ago

4. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

it can delete that
    ;)

Attached Files:

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Just out of curiousity and theoretically speaking if i ever did need a registry program to fix a registry problem(is a rare occurance).how does the vit registry fix seem.how extensively did you use it.?
    Thanks.:thumb:

6. The Red Moon

I dont think its safe to delete these.I may be wrong but ive read somewhere these should not be removed.:eek:

7. berryracer

When you install Windows updates, they are downloaded into that folder, then after they are installed and you restart, there is absolutely no need for those files, they are temp files but unfortunately Windows is made in such a way that it does not get rid of Temp files EVER.

I have been deleting them ever since the days of Vista until this date never had a single problem. You gain 1 GB of space after removing them, not that need it, still, I don't like wasting anything

8. The Red Moon

I think you will find that if you delete those files then windows will download the updates again.
    I made the unfortunate mistake of deleting these files before and the windows updates came down again.I may be wrong on this but ive left them alone.:thumb:

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've used Vit a lot, and I really like it. It does a very thorough scan which is good, and also after cleaning it errors it gives you the option of scanning a few sections of registry again in cases where another scan my find more errors. (This happens because sometimes there are registry keys which point to some of the keys that have just been deleted.) However, if it was a bit smarter like Registry Mechanic, to give one example, it would be able to find all the errors in scan.

My friend had an XP laptop on which Explorer wouldn't start at bootup - so no start menu or desktop icons unless you went to task manager and manually ran explorer.exe Vit fixed the problem, several other registry cleaners which I ran first didn't fix it.

I feel the need to add that it is rare for Vit or any other registry cleaner to fix problems with your computer.

10. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I have been following this discussion or heated argument for a couple of days. I noticed people are only discussing about "registry cleaning". I am curious, registry cleaning is only one part of Tuneup Utilities. In fact, Tuneup Utilities is not a registry cleaner, registry cleaning is just one of its modules.

So, whether one cleans their registry or not, Tuneup Utilities still has a lot to offer to such a person. Why not discuss its other modules too. The price includes the entire suite, not just the registry cleaning part.

11. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

I already did discuss it. I brought up and listed several other tweaking programs for free.

12. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

But the entire argument on these 4 pages is about registry cleaning only!

13. roger_m

The contents can be deleted as long as there are updates requiring a reboot waiting to be installed:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...es-under/8d98d924-b0b1-4f2b-bb4b-13f38126c588

14. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

Hello folks,

I could use your help with TU 2013. Problem is if I choose "clean-up windows and programs" or "Clean up browser", my whole Indexing will also be deleted and Outlook 2010 removed from Indexing, even if I don't touch 3rd option ("Disable Windows functions" were you can actually enable/disable windows indexing).

I keep Indexing on for faster search through emails in Outlook 2010. Never had this issue before in TU 2012.

Do you know which checkbox is responsible for deleting my Indexing?

Cheers,
    Miki

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  15. roger_m

Your best bet is to email TuneUp about this. It may even be a bug in the new version.

16. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

17. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

By the way, IOBit reacted by releasing their Advanced System Care & Antivirus in 2013 edition too.

I've got a "$30 off" coupon code for this one.

18. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

Just did, thanks for advice..... anyhow, back to TU2012 until new version gets polished.

Will keep an update here...

Cheers,
    Miki

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Oh there you are TuneUp Utilities . . . been a long time since i last tried it. :)

20. littleturle

littleturle Registered Member

I prefer the free utilities. Such as the ACS, CCleaner, Toolwiz Care.

21. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

the files that are in c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download would only be needed if you want to uninstall a particular update that was download... for whatever reason that might be.. that is the reason why microsoft does not delete it by default.

22. BerserkerPup

BerserkerPup Registered Member

Just a few points to keep in mind:

Not everyone who references this site is a computer geek. Some of us just know enough to come here to check out the usefulness of various types of software and to get help solving various problems that we know we can't solve ourselves.

Not all of us know exactly which settings to duplicate on our own to replicate what software like TuneUp Utilities does.

Not all of us want to install, test, and uninstall all of the alternative bits of software that do the same type of thing.

Some of us don't want to bother constantly tweaking various settings and prefer to just have it automated.;)

Some of us are not enamored of CCleaner.

Anyone with sense isn't going to purchase the product at full price.

-----

Speaking for myself, I picked up TuneUp Utilities 2012 with a 3-PC lifetime license earlier this year for $14.99. I find it's a useful program to have on my laptop, which isn't as powerful as my desktop yet which I use more often for CPU-intensive programs.

:)

23. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

That is a very good price.

24. berryracer

you are wrong my friend

windows WILL NOT download those updates once they are installed. I can tell you this while me and everyone I know have been doin' this ever since the days of Vista!

Once the updates are downloaded and installed they're installed and they never will get downloaded unless you deliberately uninstall the updates and recheck them during Windows updates

25. roger_m

The registry cleaner in TuneUp Utilities 2013 search for empty software keys, which is a bad idea, and something has not been included in TuneUp for the last 16 years, so I have no idea why they have included it now.

It's a good reason not to use this release of TuneUp Utilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.