tuneup utilities 2013 is forceful info stealer?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by taleblou, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Watch out for Tuneup utilities 2013 because during install it asks for your info to be send to tuneup and if you do not agree you can not install the software. there is no way of opting out. Older versions did not have this.

2. Glad I don't use it. Another data harvester :mad:

3. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

In this case I think the collected data doesn't break privacy in any relevant way. It must be related to things like what apps are started with Windows, etc.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

doesnt much matter if obadma pushes cispa through in the coming week no one will have any privacy anymore..

5. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

What if I don't want that data to be sent out to a third party? If there is no choice, than it is bad.
    People tend to see privacy in different ways, and it should be the right of every individual to decide what information he wants to share or to withhold. A third party should have nothing to say or do with this decision.

6. Wild Hunter

I think they actually need the data they take to make the program work better for all their users. Information like which programs are degrading performance and such things. So you still have a choice, in that you decide to be or not an user of this program (lol). Calling it a "forceful info stealer" is just exaggeration and sensationalism.

7. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

If you really like the application then you could submit all phony info, including a "throwaway" email address. Otherwise, paying $60 for snakeoil something you can do for free is a waste of hard earned money, imho.

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I totally agree, especially with that snakeoil part! :)

9. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I've got to give it to TuneUp for their marketing though. They have given away their older versions for free though last time...practically making their names on tech blogs. A nice way to get potential customers...:p

10. Wild Hunter

Two wrongs don't make a right!

While some claims from TuneUp may wrongly exaggerate the benefits of their software in general (I personally don't know if such claims were made!), calling this software - TuneUp Utilities 2013 - snake oil is a wrong exaggeration as well! Especially when objective tests/benchmarks like the ones conducted by PC Magazine are showing visible performance improvements in some cases.

11. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I bought TUNEUP UTILITY 5 years ago, since then I learned that you can do everything that Tune up Utility can do with all freeware but it is nice to have it all in one package. But in light of the latest developments, I would tend to agree with your suggestions unless someone can think of a better way to get tuneup and still keep your information/Privacy.

12. guest

guest Guest

I used TuneUp when it came out (Win95? or 98? - 1997?). - It was the "thing" back then and it did some useful things or at least I thought so. - But after that even with XP I didn't feel the need for all that "tuning" anymore. - I also put no rallye design on my bycicle :D which would be comparable to tuning your pc system just because one vendor lives of people who are into "tuning" and like the idea. ;) - Nowadays with windows 7 I wouldn't even think about installing any of those softwares. - My question is: do YOU (!) people (Tuneup Utilities users I mean, not editors of certain pc magzines etc.) feel a difference worth mentioning running/using that program?

If yes, great. Tell me about it, then I am interested. - But if not then you know why I won't install such things anymore. ;) -> Less is more to me nowadays. A software not installed is a good thing. In past times I had to try it out, ALL of it! :D - I am cured of that behaviour now, also cleaning registry etc. - Nice hobby's in the past, but past is gone. ;)

13. Wild Hunter

It's funny (but a bit disappointing) to read such skepticism regarding PC Magazine and yet such enormous faith in what random internet names have to say.

A magazine like PC Magazine, which is hugely popular and has much more to lose, is more unlikely to "invent" results than a random internet name IMO.

14. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Totally agree.:thumb:

15. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

who buys any of these "Tune-up this" or "Tune up that"? all they do is waste your money and wreck the registry. all you need is ccleaner or bleachbit and dont install a bunch of junk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.