TuneUp Utilities 2011...d u think dir r other more better?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I have TuneUp Utilities 2011 installed. Just wondering if there r other more better windows optimizers than this....probably more "effective, safer and more features" compared to it. I was then thinking of WinUtilities Free Edition or 360Amigo System SpeedUp.

I am not sure if this version has Memory and cpu managers. It has an optimize button and Turbo Mode, but I think what it does is just to disable some background services that are not needed to be run during your work.

What's your view and reactions and suggestions? o_O :rolleyes:

I this program is really good, then what else should I've needed to install that this program misses? Do u think I can still install memory and cpu optimizers to improve and gain more performance power? Will this not conflict?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'm not a huge fan of so called optimizers per-say, because in reality they dont actually work. Theres probably 1 feature that will work in all of them, and thats the disk Cleaner, but be careful not to select anything other than default settings or you might experience programs no longer functioning correctly or even if at all. Even more so for the registry Cleaners, 1 in every 5 persons who use registry cleaner have at sometime or another encountered having to reinstall windows after using them.

If you must continue using them, then do nothing other back the system up first, or you might just lose everything you didnt want to. Memory increases or cpu performance only increases in reality if you upgrade the hardware, often costly but far more effective

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Excellent points! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

-I've seen Wrecked systems, because their users select:

a) Unreliable Disk/Registry Cleaners.

b) Reliable Disk/Registry Cleaners
    BUT
    Poorly-Configured (e.g. 'Most Aggressive' Cleaning Settings:
    Select ALL & Delete ALL, No Back Up Creation-Option etc.).

-I've seen people spending money on various Optimizers/Tweakers
    when Hardware Upgrade is what boosts performance...

4. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

im a gr8 fan of Tune up utilities . Ive been using it for about 5 years without any problem starting from TU utilities 2007..:thumb:

It didnt create any problem for me.

Im now using TU Utilities2009:thumb:

But v2010 and v2011 are not good like v2009 bcoz of its additional features.
    (*For me)

Also im using CCleaner and Revo uninstaller Free

5. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Can give you the link again sweater http://lifehacker.com/5033518/debunking-common-windows-performance-tweaking-myths You need to understand why they claim to debunk? Where does that come from? When done you can tweak. Their point is don't believe all you read or all program claims to fix/boost. Another rule you might be able to use is that if Nirsoft and Sysinternals tools are not known, good enough for most out of the ordinary tasks then you should not tweak at all :) Knowing them will make you more focused on what X program actually does.

Another view is you only learn through experience so go crazy ;) But be prepared with backup, restoration techniques. Most who now might warn against racing around on forums for cpu optimizers have done mistakes them self.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  6. nikanthpromod

7. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Was not a reply to TuneUp talk directly, more tweaking away in general. TuneUp does a lot of things though - some will get very close to getting a debunk or at least a shaking head ;)

I know TuneUp has many fans among those who want an all-in-one program but I still think the test of knowing Nirsoft and Sysinternals stuff is very useful. Besides convenience what exactly does TuneUp do Windows or free system tools can't? or is it not true that you an tweak and optimize more than TuneUp suggests? Take the magic out of such programs is what could come out of this.

I know a professional IT guy (5 years education) who swear by TuneUp - but he is a fool and lazy. Within this category it is probably the one to test though. I will buy that.

8. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Buy a good uninstaller and defragmenter, you can do the rest yourself and probably better imo. TuneUp Utilities is way overpriced.
    Good luck :)

9. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

I do not like or use Optimization utilities and prefer manually tested tweaks only.

10. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

I recommend these: Auslogics BoostSpeed 5, Ashampoo WinOptimizer 7, IObit Advanced SystemCare, CCleaner, Wintools.net Ultimate, TuneUp Utilities, Yamicsoft Windows Manager

If you are not familiar with computers, windows, software then TuneUp is the best.

11. nikanthpromod

I wont recommend Iobit advanced systemcare . Bcoz it made some problems in my pc after registry cleaning. Dont take this in a wrong way bcoz its IOBIT's.

I have tried a lot of registry cleaners
    I found most safe and reliable optimizers are Tuneup utilities , Ashampoo winoptimizer and Ccleaner.These 3 can be used in a pc without a single problem. Bcoz i was using these combination. Now im using TU utilities2009 and ccleaner

12. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

That is why i recommend ASC to experts, they can check the registry "errors" that ASC found and correct it manually.

Ashampoo, Auslogics and TuneUp are good for novice users. CCleaner is good too but its not an optimizer, more likely a system cleaner.

13. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Of all the ten-thousands of entries and thousands of potentially invalid entries, registry cleaners just find a minor part of the invalid stuff.
    If these magic cleaners actually found close to all invalid stuff it would maybe make difference. I make sure my programs are correctly uninstalled from beginning ;)
    That's just my opinion from my experience.

14. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I've used Ace Utilities for years. Quite safe in all functions.

Others I've used without problems:
    -CCleaner
    -Revo Uninstaller
    -Eusing Registry Cleaner
    -Auslogic Registry Cleaner
    -Auslogic Disk Defrag
    -Puran Defrag

15. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  16. guest

guest Guest

Well, TuneUP Utilities 2011 also got "Live Optimization" which is a feature that automatically deals with process priorities. I don't know of any other maintenance suite that has such feature.

nikanthpromod, the removed "additional features" of previous TuneUP Utilities versions were snake oil, such as the "TuneUp Memory Optimizer".

I think of TuneUP Utilities 2011 as a really huge improvement over previous versions and this right step (to remove the obvious snake oil) was one of the reasons that made me a TU user once again.

As for Registry Cleaning, I second what mammoth181 said.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011
  17. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I like ACE Utilities more than TuneUp Utilities for the following reasons:

-More Reliable Registry Cleaning.
    -Disk Cleaning covering more areas.
    -Much better File/Folder Secure-Erasing Tool.

18. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

I like Ace Utilities, best registry cleaning I've seen aswell. It lacks behind though because of slow development, especially cleaning when programs change a lot these days. I would actually go for Ace Utilities though, it usually covers all the main areas very through.
    TuneUp Utilities 2010 was pretty nice, but sadly 2011 is much slower and have a quite cluttered interface :(
    Auslogics BoostSpeed is also good, but I don't like their latest marketing strategies, no go for now.

19. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    I bought Tuneup Utilities 2011 through Majorgeeks for about $25. Will I use it on a daily basis--no, but in the case I'd need t for anything it is there.

I'm not normally one to run these types of programs either but if I run into a problem, it's there and for a 3 pc license, $25 is well worth it. :thumb:

20. guest

guest Guest

The very best registry cleaning is probably what JV16 PowerTools currently offers.
    http://www.macecraft.com/registry_cleaner_comparison2010/
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=286210

21. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      77.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      70.7 KB
      Views:
  22. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Removed Total Uninstall trial and went back to Ace Utilities.
    I use utilities that's performing like an ace and have a perfect disk lol :argh:
    I just saw that TuneUp add a 3rd (!) background process to handle disabled programs, brilliant! :ouch:
    Anyway, get Ace Utilities my friend, no snake oil there :)

23. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Total Uninstall has nothing to do with Ace Utilities and if you look at their promises we are over in snake-oil category big time. Being payware makes it worth mentioning. CCleaner is also 90% convenience, no features are that spectacular, basic Windows/app features really, but why some will pay for this is strange.

24. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Uhm, Ace Utilities stands well above CCleaner.
    I know, Total Uninstall is not Ace Utilities, but I already have license for Ace Utilities, I can delete those leftover files myself with help of Ace Utilities disk analyzer tool :-*
    This is my opinion, use whatever you want ;)

25. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Here opinions are of no interest, I am only look at feature list and go zzzo_O Ace Utilities is old not just by looking at first release date. You can say yes, but old and well tested. Ok :) Having a feel-good sensation by "cleaning up" means a lot but that is personal preference and not so interesting.

Did Tune-Up not use to include a ramdisk by the way? Where did that go? If they have one for 64bit I might be interested since others are more costly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.