TuneUp Utilities 2009

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by razor0018, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razor0018

razor0018 Registered Member

Just installed and decided to test this tool. Right after starting I am notified under the health tab about several 'critical health problems' that need to be fixed. Half are pretty easy to understand but the others I am not so sure about.

Can anyone clear up whether or not it is safe or even necessary to allow Tuneup to modify how the follwing items function?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Possible hacker attack vulnerability point
    Network protection against SYN attacks is disabled.
    Recommended Solution: Turn on protection against SYN attacks

-Administrative shares enabled
    Administrative shares allow network access to all drives on your computer. Even though the shared drives are not visible in the network environment, they can still be accessed by simply entering <drive letter>$ (for example, "C$") into the address bar.
    Recommended Solution: Disable Administrative shares

-Network access to the registry
    Windows Remote Registry service allows other computers in the network to look at the computer's registry. Hackers can use this service to get access to important information about the computer.
    Recommended Solution: Disable network access to the registry

-Unique identification of your computer is possible
    When videos and music from a web site are played by Windows Media Player, a unique ID is transmitted to the web site provider.
    Recommended Solution: Disable the sending of a unique Player ID

-Suggested Items For Clean Up: Windows Messenger
    You can use Windows Messenger to send and receive instant messages. If you use a different instant messenger or do not wish to use instant messaging, you can remove this program.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would there be any negative side effects or has anyone experienced any first hand?

Also if the above is true would you know of a better/safer maintenance application to replace this one?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,

Do you run a firewall? If you do, then:

1,2,3 are not applicable.
    4 if you don't use WMP, not applicable, if you do, simply tweak the privacy settings via tools > options.
    5 your decision if you wanna use Messenger.

Regards,
    Mrk

3. Aberrant

Aberrant Registered Member

Hello razor0018.

About your queries.
    I too use TuneUp. What you had mentioned is typically standard results. Solutions are as follows, and reasons why:

1) Turn on protection against SYN attacks.
    -At your discretion. If you are paranoid, then turn it on. There are a few "how to's" online. TuneUp does not do this automatically for you, as it is something you have to configure manually. Basically a safeguard time-out feature and lock-out against potential flooding (DoS attacks). For the record, I do not bother turning it on as I prefer to have higher bandwidth transfers. Just keep an eye on netstat and your current connections in general. Most of the good firewalls have some kind of setting that allows you to limit packet sizes, time-out connections, and whether or not if you want to encrypt them, just note that these procedures can slow down your general internet speed. I suppose that is what you should expect if you seek security over speed. You can also configure your browers setting. Firefox for example can allow you to tweak its brower via typing about:config in the address bar. Just make sure you don't change anything unless you know what it means. Also stay clear from one suggestion being spread by some young people stating that you should increase your pipeline, this is highly not recommended! Read into it. Increasing pipeline is a sure recipe for disaster if you are seeking DoS.

2) Disable Administrative shares.
    -Administrative shares is a security vulnerability (according to various sources). If you are not part of a network, then turning this feature off will not degrade performances or return errors. For the average home user turning this feature off is recommended. For the record I have Administrative shares disabled, and I have not noticed any errors. There are plenty of "how to's" online. Risk free!

3) Disable network access to the registry.
    - A must do. There is no need for anyone to have remote access to your registry if you are a home user. This is a high security risk. Disable this feature via services.msc. For the record I also have this feature disabled. Risk free!

4) Disable the sending of a unique Player ID.
    - This feature that M$ have carelessly added sends out information to the internet. If you are concerned about having an open port, and if you are also concerned about privacy, then disable this ASAP. For the record I also have this disabled. Does not compromise any media player if you do choose to disable. Risk free!

5) Disable Messenger and uninstall it.
    - This is not MSN Messenger. This service is an inbuilt messenger that allows networked computers to have an inbuilt service to basically chat to one another. This feature is another typical vulnerability in M$ Windows. Disabling this service and uninstalling it has no impact on MSN messenger. This feature is out-dated and unneeded in today's day in age where new software that is up-to-date and ground-breaking surpassing the very very old standard M$ Messenger.

Recommendations:
    -Wiki is a great source of info.
    -Cross reference every Tweak and Tip you may read online and offline! Never take the word of one source, as there are many liars and malicious people in this world whom only have it in their heart to disrupt your peace. Read around! Also make sure that you compare "how to's" authored by various people with other "how to" authors, as this is a sure way you will be getting sound advice that stands true. If something looks fishy and suspicious then simply cross reference. No harm to cross reference refutable sources now, as we are all human, therefore, we all make mistakes (some done on purpose nonetheless).

Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.