TuneUp Utilities 2009

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Joeythedude, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Hi

Just wondering if anyone uses this and how it compares with the best of breed standalone software like say revo uninstaller and ccleaner etc.

I have a load of different utilty products on my PC and seriously thinking of trying replace them with one suite.

It getting hard to remember what has modified what etc.

Esp interested if anyone has compared its autoruns section.

I currently have 4 apps with auto run editing ability ! :)

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I'm a long-time user of TuneUp Utilities. Overall, it's a useful suite although some of the utilities are more useful than others. The latest 2009 version has some changes to the user interface. The start page now performs an automatic analysis and reports what TuneUp considers to be potential optimizations of system performance and reliability.

I wouldn't consider TuneUp Utilities to be a replacement for dedicated tools designed to perform a specific purpose, such as Revo Uninstaller and CCleaner, but it can complement them quite nicely. One good thing about TuneUp is that system changes made by the individual utilities are recorded and are reversable.

If you want something to analyse and remove leftover remnants after using a program's own uninstaller, you will still need Revo Uninstaller. The uninstaller that comes with TuneUp is little more than a replacement for Windows 'Add or Remove Programs'. I use Total Uninstall for this purpose but I imagine Revo Uninstaller does the job just as well.

The file cleaning functions of TuneUp are limited, and CCleaner is more powerful in this respect. TuneUp has a decent registry cleaner that works well alongside the registry cleaner in CCleaner. Both are conservative and safe to use, and I have never had either of them break anything. I use them both, although it's debatable whether there is any real value to registry cleaning. TuneUp also has a registry defragmenter which CCleaner doesn't have.

I do use the TuneUp Startup Manager to manage autoruns. It knows about a large number of programs and makes recommendations for each startup program as to whether the startup is necessary or not, which I find useful.

TuneUp Utilities has a 30-day trial period so why not try it for yourself and see what you think.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If you go on slickdeals.net you will find a way to get TuneUp Utilities 2007 and 2008 for free (full version license key). Just do a search in the hot deals forum.

4. mikeo1313

mikeo1313 Registered Member

The tool is really comprehensive. I really dont want to deal with installing 1 specialized tool for each.

Me personally I don't like registry cleaners...

This package consolidates nearly all maintenance under 1 roof/console otherwise you'd have to fish through the os & look into other tools to do the job.

If I were you I'd not let the 1 click main do registry changes.

What I like about this software is it has a log for everything it does and you can undo the majority of changes it does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.