Trying to do incremental but getting total backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Adrian Stock, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrian Stock

Adrian Stock Registered Member

Trying to do incremental but getting total backup

Hi, I use Acronis Workstation 9.1. I am trying to do an incremental backup for files and folders. Following instructions to the letter, e.g.:

1. click backup,
    2. click files and folders
    3. select all wanted drives (source drives)
    4. untick 'My documents'
    5. untick 'Desktop'
    6. 'Source file exclusion': keep as default
    7. Scroll down tree and select latest backup, (which happens to be incremental) (i.e. I want to back up all new or changed files as from the last incremental backup)
    8. Next screen: Select 'incremental'
    9. Next screen: click on 'Use default options'
    10. Proceed

This should be over and done with in 15 minutes. However, when I do this, I still get a total backup, blocking my computer for six hours.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Adrian

2. TonysPC

TonysPC Registered Member

Are you using the same filename for your new incremental backup as you used for your full backup? If you don't, it ATI will assume its a new backup set and will do a full backup.

3. Adrian Stock

Adrian Stock Registered Member

Filename is the same. In detail:
    Total backup file (first backup)is called: total_2006_10_22.tib
    The subsequent files are called (automatically numbered by Acronis):

total_2006_10_222.tib
    total_2006_10_223.tib
    total_2006_10_224.tib
    total_2006_10_225.tib
    total_2006_10_226.tib

I then select the last of these, continue as in my numbered procedure in my original msg, and expect an incremental backup (15 mins), but get a total backup (6 hours).

How can I prevent this from happening?

Note: What I do in Step 7, above, is to scroll down to the last file, which I presume is the latest backup (incremental) and therefore I will (I hope) get an incremental backup from there on.

If I were to click on the first file (the original file) in the list, I would get a differential backup.

If I clicked on nothing at all, I would get the default file name "MyBackup" and get a total backup.

So why isn't it working? I want an incremental backup, not a total backup.

Thanks.

Adrian

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“If I were to click on the first file (the original file) in the list, I would get a differential backup.”

This is not correct. Whether it’s a DIFF or an INC is determined in the “Select backup mode” window. You must make the choice.

I do INCs all the time and always refer to the name of the FULL image. TI keeps track of the images and their relation to one another.

5. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

For the heck of it, I might try naming the FULL image YYYY_MM_DD_Total and see what happens. Since you're doing File/Folders, try a much smaller sample.

6. _Kento_

_Kento_ Registered Member

Hi Adrian,

How did you figure out that the full backup was created? According to the filename you created incremental/differential backups. Also it does not matter what backup to select if you wish to create incremental/differential backup. It can be either initial full backup or any of the incremental/differential backups. As TheWeaz said they all related to each other.

_Kento_

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.