Trying to Clone, reboot stalls

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Undy, Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Undy

Undy Registered Member

I have a Sony Vaio laptop with an external monitor attached at home. The laptops monitor is not working, nor is the DVD drive...so need to send it in for warranty work. Need to back-up my hard-drive, but also need to be able to work while the computer is gone. I was trying to clone the drive to an external hard-drive in hopes that I could attach it to another computer and continue to work while my laptop is gone. However, when I try to clone my drive, my computer will not automatically reboot as indicated, so I can't get by that step. Any suggestions? If I get the disk cloned, will it work in the manner I am hoping or should I just try to do a back-up and restore when I get my computer back if the files were damaged? Not a computer expert, so in a little over my head. Thanks!

Jay

2. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Are you trying to clone from within Windows or your Rescue CD? If you used Rescue CD, did you select Safe mode? Sometimes that will work.

Your cloned disk might not work if connected to another computer if you are using XP as the latter works on an activation Product Code. The following site expains the situation.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

Also, you will probably experience problems because of different hardware and drivers.

The quickest way to find out whether your XP will work in another computer is to connect your original disk to it and boot. If it works then just send the laptop away for repairs. If it does not then cloning is a pointless exercise.

Regarding backup. If you do do a backup, create a folder on your original disk, and then use your Rescue CD to create the image into the folder. After you have done that, swap hard disks and see if it will restore from the folder to your second disk. If it does then you have a working backup. (Sometimes backups become corrupted even though they verify correctly).

At this point you should have two disks with your OS and data. Presume that they will not work in another computer. Since you want to work on your current data while the laptop is being repaired, you will need to delete the XP off the second disk and copy relevant data to it.
    The only safe way that I can suggest to do it, is with a Windows 98 boot disk. Download it from http://bootdisk.com/ and copy it to a floppy or CD. Boot off it on another computer, while your hard disk is attached, and "fdisk" the hard disk. That will destroy all the information.

Attach it back with your laptop as the second hard disk. Use Disk Management to format the disk and then copy all the relevant data. Also, copy the folder containing your True Image backup. Now you can use this disk, as a second hard disk, to work on your data while your laptop is being repaired.

Hope this helps.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Undy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please explain your step-by-step actions which you took that led you to this issue. Did you use Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media or did you use Acronis True Image in Windows? Please note that reboot does not required if you perform the clone procedure when booted from Acronis True Image Bootable CD.

Please note that because of the different hardware (the laptop and another computer where you would like to use the cloned drive) the cloned system may prove unbootable. However, please note that we have a product that provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration - Acronis Universal Restore. Acronis Universal Restore is an option to Acronis True Image Workstation. It should be purchased separately. Using Acronis Universal Restore you will be able to restore the image of the system to hard drive of another computer and will be able to use this system while your laptop is not available.

You can also create an image archive of the entire hard drive and store it to the external hard drive. Then after you will get your laptop back you can restore this image archive back. In this case no addidtional products needed.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.