Trying to buy bitcoin for cash in the UK

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by newbiebit, Jul 20, 2016.

1. newbiebit

newbiebit Registered Member

Hi

Does anyone know of an easier way to buy some bitcoin for cash in the UK than Localbitcoin? The two UK-based bitcoin voucher systems, Satobit and azte.co, seem to have stopped trading. Satobit was uncontactable by me and by one of its voucher vendors about two weeks ago, and azte.co's delayed and minimal reply to my emails suggests that they've folded.

I'd prefer not to buy bitcoin through an ATM because they all seem to require a smartphone to be used as part of the process, and I don't want to divulge any personal data just for this basic transaction. If there was an ATM that just required my email address to do the transaction (as well as my wallet address) then I'd use that ATM.

I've set up a wallet and need about 200 pounds of bitcoin to pay for some online purchases anonymously. Nothing shady, I'm just trying to maintain my basic privacy. And I've read the posts on this forum about tumbling the coins if / when I get them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

3. newbiebit

Thanks for your reply but I'm trying to minimize the transaction trail that will occur prior to me buying the bitcoin, as well as afterwards. Therefore I don't want to buy them by credit / debit card or bank transfer, because the transaction would show on my statement. And some banks have got a very negative attitude to bitcoin and bitcoin traders. And there have been several reports across the media about bank customers having their accounts blacklisted (or worse) after trading bitcoin. And as all customers' credit / debit card purchases are data-mined eventually for marketing and profiling purposes, it's a transaction I don't want to be recorded on multiple databases.

Ideally, the simplest way to buy a small amount of bitcoin would be in the form of a voucher sold by a high street retailer or bureau de change, just like the Satobit system used to work. Does anyone know of anything similar in the UK that requires minimal ID to be shown?

Mirimir, I read your privacy guides on iVPN previously, which are very useful, but when I clicked on one of the the links in your post my Firefox browser (latest version) blocked the website with this message:

And when I went to a page on iVPN's website (today and previously) it tried to fingerprint my browser, which my Canvas Fingerprint Blocker add-on blocked. This was the page:

https://www.ivpn.net/privacy-guides/advanced-privacy-and-anonymity-part-7

And this was the alert I got from Canvas Fingerprint Blocker:

It seems difficult to trust a VPN like this one when it tries to extract the online identities of its potential customers. I expect my PC to be identified in the usual way by its browser user-agent and my IP address, but not by canvas fingerprinting.

4. mirimir

OK, I get that.
    Maybe do an in person cash for Bitcoin trade?
    It's an old site. Maybe not well maintained :(
    That's not good :(

5. mirimir

I asked about this, and got that it was inadvertent, caused by software update.

I just checked with Tor browser, and now there's no canvas request.

6. newbiebit

OK, thanks for checking this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.