Trying to back up a SCSI system drive.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tom Wood, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Wood

Tom Wood Registered Member

Hello,

I have an older machine with four Seagate SCSI drives. One is the C drive, the others are used for content. (It was used for video, but I've broken down the RAID into just four drives.) The system drive C is on SCSI channel A, the other three are on SCSI channel B.

I made an image file of the 'C' drive and put it on one of the other SCSI drives, validated it, made a bootable CD, reset the boot drive to the CD in the BIOS. Now I get a splash screen for Acronis, no mouse cursor, no choices except 'Turn off Computer' or 'Continue to boot Windows'. Hitting enter is the only key that does anything, and best I can tell, when I hit that it boots from C as normal.

I want to verify that I can actually mount the image when I need it, but this doesn't seem to be working.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

TW

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

My guess is that the Linux environment of the Rescue CD can't see the SCSI drives because it doesn't have a driver for the SCSI card.

Check the boot CD on another system to see if it runs normally on a system where it can see the drives.

There's no way to add drivers to the Rescue CD yourself. The alternatives are:

1. You could ask Acronis tech support if they can supply a boot disk with the necessary drivers.

2. You could create a BartPE or VistaPE boot disk with the TI plug-in and add the SCSI drivers for you system.

You didn't mention what version of TI and what build you have.

3. Tom Wood

Tom Wood Registered Member

Thank you John,

It's version 11.00 build 8,053.

It's a WinXP Pro machine.

Device Manager lists as SCSI and RAID controllers, two: Adaptec AIC-7902B - Ultra320 SCSI

Does that help, or should I try tech support for the CD?

TW

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Sounds to me like time to call on tech support for a special boot disk with the SCSI drivers - or the BartPE or VistaPE boot disk.

You can use a VistaPE boot disk on an XP system, and Mustang has an easy way to create the VistaPE disk for a very small cost.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Tom Wood, first of all you can try the latest build (#8101) of Acronis True Image 11 Home.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

6. oeikel

oeikel Registered Member

Dear all,

nearly the same problem. I have installed Acronis True Image Home. My win XP pro sp3, runs on a scsi raid0 drive. Now I have backed up my system on an external usb-Drive.

When I tried to make Rescue CD, I got a hint, that there won't be any scsi drivers.

What does that mean? No driver for recover from a scsi drive or no driver for recovering to a scsi drive.

:oops:

Best regards
    Oliver

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello oeikel,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

What is the exact title of the program and the build number? The issue concerns lack of drivers in Linux environment. If you provide us serial number via PM we will send you ISO image of Acronis True Image bootable disc which should solve the issue.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.