Trying out mks_vir ...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by msanto, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Decided to buy it since McAfee is hosed on my personal laptop that I take to work ... and I can't d/l a new install from McAfee since their website seems to have an issue w/ SP2.

I saw a couple of posts about 100% CPU utilization, but running Process Explorer I'm not seeing anything like that.

Also, what's this Repository thing? It looks like it's d/ling huge quantities of stuff ...

2. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I think you will be pleased with MKS, I DL'ed last week on my second comp, and am very pleased on performance and tech support. If I understand correctly the repository is used to download updates and install over a network instead of having each comp on the network have to update from the website. I use the MKS update site and update manually but you can set it up to auto update.
    If you need help there is a forum or you can email and they reply quickly

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  3. msanto

msanto Registered Member

It seems to have found a false positive (or what I think is one) in a file called CSWSK32.OCX. It says it has the Trojan.ircbot.Rexor.A virus. But I can't find any info about that, and neither RAV Online or NOD32 see a virus in the file. Nor Norton, used by Yahoo! mail when I emailed mks_vir support. Note that it gives me a warning w/ and without heuristics. And that the mks_vir online scanner (of course) also finds it.

But as I said none of the others do.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  4. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Impressively they emailed me overnight, told me it was a false positive and they would fix it ASAP. Did an update today ... problem fixed.

5. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

I'd rather get a false positive than have it miss something. Better to err on the side of caution and use common sense when it finds something.

As to the repository, not sure what you're talking out. Do you mean the quarantine?

6. msanto

msanto Registered Member

No, you can either d/l and update your program or have it d/l to the repository instead ... for network installs, I guess.

Personally, I would think you could just d/l a fresh installer from their website if you needed to do that.

But I was very impressed that they got back to me so quickly and fixed the false positive so fast. The reason I'm getting a new antivirus scanner is because of McAfee's poor tech support.

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I can also confirm their solid technical support.

My own problem is a difficult one and they have stayed with it, hope to have a solution in the next week and a half or so, and have already offered a refund if it's not fixed by then. Although I personally thought that it was premature to raise the question of refund, the interesting thing is that it came from their end. I hadn't uttered a peep in that direction at all. This is absolute high class customer support in my book. Further, I'm sufficiently impressed with their AV that I don't plan on taking a refund even if the problem isn't resolved in the next few weeks - I can use mks_vir as a demand scanner only in the meantime (no issues in this role) and that's fine by me.

Blue

8. msanto

msanto Registered Member

What is your problem?

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

It's described in the other thread. Spontaneous reboot within about three minutes of logging on if mks_vir is doing realtime monitoring and the Windows task scheduler service is active.

I do not know of anyone else who has exhibited this issue, it may be a local configuration conflict. Happened at the SP1 level, installing XP Pro SP2 had no effect. I just tested, it's still there. The temporary solution is to disable the task scheduler service - absolutely no problems if this is done and I've put it through the wringer in this configuration. Likewise, stopping realtime monitoring resolves the problem.

If you do not see this happening on your system - and it's obvious, quick, and very reproducible with respect to timing and a couple of other symptoms already relayed to Stormbyte - assume your system is not impacted. If you do experience a reboot problem, look at the impact of disabling realtime monitoring and/or the task scheduler service.

Blue

10. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Hmmm ... speaking of updates, I see the system tray icon, if you hover over it, says the date of the virus defs and "Last Checked". Is this the last time you checked for updates? I know I did a manual check yet it still has --- as the last checked time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.