Trying airVPN

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by caspian, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Registered Member

It's really fast. I got 12 Mb/s download and 1.3 up. But I have tried 2 supposed foreign connections and in both the server is actually in the US. The first one was supposed to be a Netherlands location. I got Google in Dutch but the server was in the US. I can't remember the name of the second country that I tried, but it shows the server in the US and it says Leaseweb.

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I'll bet the service you used to "look up" the location is wrong. That is common. Have you tried another look up service? Dutch in your Google is a good indication that you were there. FYI - you can default google to english if you want to.

BTW ---- I have sent a couple emails to AirVPN because I want to try them out and I am waiting for a response. I also sent an email to sales as they requested on their website - since I want to pay with Bitcoins. So far, no answer. Its only been about 24 hours but I expected a faster response. Many here say great things about them, so we'll see!!

3. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

bitcoins sure go ahead, actually its only required to contact sales if the subscription you want is out of stock or if you want a special setup, if you want a faster response i suggest using the support forum since thats the most actively monitored compared to sales wich can take a while depending on situation , i remember it took them about 12 hours to respond to me when asking for a test account , hell the owner himself did the support with me, as said it always depends on

btw about the server locations , palancar is absolutely and 100% correct , try another lookup service caspian ;)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  4. caspian

Here is my current IP address. 119.81.15.216

5. caspian

6. caspian

Okay only 2 now are showing Texas. maybe they are just wrong

7. caspian

It's super fast. And I think if you select a 4 day trial it is automatic. You could use Paypal for that and pay a different way if you want to continue. But I just used Paypal. I mean if I am going to trust them, they know who I am anyway. They have my IP address. And evidently the guy that is at least a spokesman for them is an activist so I don't see that it matters about payment method.

8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I've seen geolocation disagreement for IP addresses from several VPN services. Two possible causes come to mind. Some people may be using the "update IP location" option that some geolocation services provide, perhaps in order to access area-restricted websites. Also, some people may allow geolocation services to access their local geolocation data, which may include results from mapped WiFi networks.

9. happyyarou666

as i was saying :rolleyes:

10. caspian

It's interesting though that when I connect to any of the German exit nodes, Google knows that I am in the US. I wonder how?

11. happyyarou666

pics or it didnt happen ;)

12. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

In case you didn't know - Air anonymizes and then sends to Google servers for DNS...if you are seeing US Google DNS servers with (I think) 17x.xxx... addresses, that is fine. They talk about it on their forum

PD

13. caspian

I have all of my DNS set to the German Privacy Foundation. But if those nodes normally use Google DNS in America, maybe Google has them marked as being in the US regardless of DNS. But my DNS is German.

14. PaulyDefran

You've got the GPF set as DNS in the TAP Adapter? If so, then yes, you should only be seeing it, on a leaktest. If not (Auto), you will see Air's anonymized Google servers if everything is correct.

PD

15. caspian

Yes I have tap adapters set to GPF only. Nothing else ever shows at GRC even when I am not using a VPN.

16. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

Will someone give us more info about setting your DNS (I suppose you mean those you set in the LAN settings that usually you set your ISP DNS?) to German Privacy Foundation?

17. happyyarou666

setting your dns is easy just go to your physical net adapter and set the dns youd like , for air you dont need to set anything just make sure youve got a good firewall that prevents any leaks , you can find a good tut over at air forum , if you still dont trust your firewall rules then you can set a dns manually , but with firewall rules its not required

18. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

When using a VPN, DNS lookups for traffic through the VPN tunnel should (1) also go through the VPN tunnel, and (2) not use the same DNS servers that the computer uses when the VPN isn't connected. Under some circumstances, such as when the VPN connection fails, DNS lookups can go to the computer's non-VPN DNS servers. That's the infamous "DNS leak". You can prevent that using outbound NAT routing and/or firewall rules. You can also mitigate potential damage by using non-ISP DNS servers for non-VPN traffic.

You set your computer's non-VPN DNS servers in the LAN router, or in the computer's connection properties if you're using static IPs rather than DHCP. VPN clients typically set their own DNS servers, but you can override that.

19. caspian

But airVPN uses Google DNS, right?

20. happyyarou666

yes it does

21. PaulyDefran

Yes, but they remove all identifying info from your request.

PD

22. happyyarou666

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.