Try to break this new idea for a snapshot.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ErikAlbert, Jul 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Dear FDISR-users,

What do you think about this idea ?
    I'm planning to create a special snapshot, that contains only :
    1. WinXPproSP2 on it, where internet connection is disabled constantly.
    2. PerfectDisk on it, to defragment my two internal harddisks.
    3. Acronis True Image on it, to backup my two internal harddisk = system partition and data partition.
    4. ... any other possible software that does harddisks tasks. If you have any good idea which usefull softwares that can be,
    mention them in your reply.

My assumption is that
    1. I don't need internet to do these tasks.
    2. I don't need any security software to do these tasks, because there is no internet connection.
    3. I don't need any other applications to do these tasks.
    4. All my other snapshots are included in the backup/restore.
    5. I don't need a fully patched WinXPproSP2 either to do these tasks.

Any serious objections not to do this at all ?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

By objections, I assume you mean problems, so I don't see any. I just don't see what you gain. The only thing I see interfering with those tasks is a virus/at/AS realtime scanner. Surely disabling them is quicker than to reboots. As long as your firewall is on, you should be safe doing disk tasks. I've been doing this for several years with no problem.

Pete

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

theres several other disk-related software you can get, but I don't imagine using them very often.

for example getdataback is used for recovering data and hd workbench allows you to monitor your disk's smart status, perform a surface scan (for errors) and make disk-to-disk copies.

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I would install at least the latest hardware drivers.
    It is possible that the Microsoft updates/fixes contain bugfixes that are related to hardware issues.

5. ErikAlbert

I don't have much experience with updating hardware drivers. How does that work? Do I find these drivers at the official website of each hardware component in my computer ?

6. wilbertnl

I would at least find the latest drivers for the chipset (Intel, VIA or NVidia, depending on your motherboard) and the SATA.
    Start your search at the website of your motherboard manufacturer, and check the chipset manufacturers too.

The latest versions of you video card, sound card and network drivers won't hurt either, although not necessary for your intentions.

This might interest you: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial119.html

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

thats what i would do. but for video card drivers, check the chipset manufacturer (like nvidia or ati) instead of the card manufacturer (like xfx or visiontek)

most drivers can be installed using the bundled installer so it should be straightfoward.

8. Peter2150

Erik

WHY??

9. ErikAlbert

OK. Thanks. I will check my hardware websites. I don't think I ever had a problem with hardware drivers and I received several CD's with drivers together with my winXPproSP2-CD. So my hardware drivers can't be that old.
    But I don't exclude anything, so I will check them out.

10. wilbertnl

11. ErikAlbert

But very wrong in my case.
    I don't believe in perfectionism at all. Everything created by mankind, failed one day or more than once and history is full of examples, including softwares. The new version of each software has only lesser bugs, that's how I think about softwares.
    All my decisions are based on common sense and some people don't agree with me, but that's OK, maybe they don't see what I see. It really doesn't matter to me. I have my own plans with FD-ISR.

12. Peter2150

Wilbertnl

ROFL.

Erik

1. You asked.

2. I understand what you are saying, but the more complex you make something, the more likely you are to experience the failure you are trying to avoid.

Pete

13. ErikAlbert

One snapshot more complex? LOL. I thought FD-ISR was developped for making snapshots, I just use them in combination with other things.

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Complex, simple, it's all your point of view, fellows. That's what makes FD so neat, it's so flexible. You use it the way that you want to, and if no one else uses it that way, or dislikes you using it that way, so what?

Acadia

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.