Try and Decide

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rod Williams, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rod Williams

Rod Williams Registered Member

Where do things stand with making Try and Decide work across a reboot. I want to be able to "Try" new software, which usually requires a reboot, and if there are problems or I don't like it "Decide" to go back before it was installed.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You could just create an image of C and then restore it after to wipe out all traces of the test. That's what I do.

Of course, if you have all your files in C then this isn't real fast due to the possibly large size.

3. tony_dutta

tony_dutta Registered Member

Well, that's one of the limitations to TnD in ATI 11. Chk this:
    http://www.acronis.com.au/homecomputing/support/kb/articles/867/

I've used ATI 2009 Beta and with it you can test a software even if it requires a reboot.

4. Livio

Livio Registered Member

Really ?
    That would be a great improvement, and might be a better choice than a virtual machine occasionally.

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Without going into too many details, you probably wouldn't want to use 2009 T&D in the same way a normal virtual machine is used, although a virtual machine is the closest way of describing the new incarnation. Unless of course you have a gazillionbyte stack of hard drives at your disposal. :)

Colin

6. Rod Williams

Rod Williams Registered Member

So, in other words, I have to buy a new program? Wouldn't you think that a particular feature that doesn't work properly would be fixed in the version that it originated in? TI is a great program and has saved me several times but why does Acronis have to make the fix in the next version and charge for it.

7. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Because that's how they do things and which is why I stick with ver 9. Their track record does not bode well for succeeding versions. Some things get fixed while breaking what didn't need fixing. And new bugs get created.

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I think that as far as T&D is concerned, it isn't broken, it just wasn't quite thought through as a concept.

After feedback on here and possibly through further thinking, the next version of T&D will do what most will require, albeit that comes with disk space requirements that are not required in the current version.

Most software companies refine their enhancements with new versions that require a paid upgrade unless maintenance contracts are taken out, that is certainly the case with my ECAD and 'C' compilers that I use.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.