Trusteer Rapport

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Frank the Perv, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

So this is what IBM's Trusteer Rapport says it is:

You Don’t Have Enough Online Security, But You Should.
    Malware and phishing allow cyber criminals to access your computer, account numbers, and personal information. It can take days or weeks for antivirus solutions to detect it, but by then, it’s too late.

Your antivirus isn’t protecting you against fraud.
    Financial malware is constantly evolving to continuously evade antivirus solutions. In fact, antivirus software detects only about 25% of the most popular malware currently being emailed to people. Trusteer Rapport stops all financial malware to protect you and your account from any fraudulent activity.

Easy to Use. Won’t Slow You Down.
    Trusteer Rapport takes just minutes to download and install. It runs in the background so your computer tasks continue completely uninterrupted. Once installed, a small Trusteer Rapport icon will appear next to your browser’s address bar, changing color to let you know when it’s working.

Trusteer Rapport prevents phishing and Man-in-the-Browser (MitB) malware attacks. Using a network of more than 30 million endpoints across the globe, Trusteer collects intelligence on active phishing and malware attacks against organizations worldwide. Trusteer Rapport applies behavioral algorithms to block phishing attacks and to prevent the installation and the operation of MitB malware strains in the wild (such as Zeus, Bugat, Tinba, Torpig, Spyeye, Ramnit, Gozi and various regional malware variants). Trusteer Rapport can be installed on any end user platform including Windows, Mac OS and Virtual Desktops.
    And it is FREE.

This is where Trusteer came from and that IBM paid $1 Billion for the company in 2014:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/opening-new-doors-why-ibm-spent-1bn-on-security-firm-trusteer/

Many large banks (USAA, Bank of America...) recommend Trusteer Rapport:
    https://communities.usaa.com/t5/USA...oftware-available-for-USAA-members/ba-p/34074
    https://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/online-mobile-banking-privacy/trusteer-rapport.go
    http://www.tdbank.com/bank/trusteer.html
    http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,3282,00.html

Here are 2013 MRG tests showing Trusteer with 100% detection in limited testing:
    http://media.kaspersky.com/pdf/mrg-effitas-online-banking-security-assessment-q2-2013.pdf
    http://techtipy.com/mrg-effitas-online-banking-browser-security-test-result/

Anybody know of any other testing of Trusteer?

Here are IBM Trusteer Websites:

https://www.trusteer.com/ProtectYourMoney

http://www-03.ibm.com/software/products/en/trusteer-rapport

===================

I don't use the product, nor have I tried it. But I'm thinking about it.

Much of the information about Trusteer on the web and in this forum is years old. Probably information 2014 or later (since IBM
    acquired it) is most useful.

So... any current/recent users of this product?

-Frank

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Frank I have never used Trusteer myself.

However I have removed it from a couple of machines where there seemed to be a strong software conflict which went away after Trusteer was uninstalled.

Now in order to get the Trusteer uninstall tool (if problems with removing via Programs and Features) you have to apply for it.

http://www.trusteer.com/support/uninstall-troubleshooting

Some faq's here

http://www.trusteer.com/support/rapport-faqs

(note under item 8 about uninstalling, the link is broken)

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

HMP.A and my link scanners + script blockers are good enough for me.

4. I tried it in the past. Offers a nice set of protection with some tweaking (you have to manually set some protections from the protected banks to ALL websites), but it delayed the startup of the browser to much for me.

5. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

I installed it once and then uninstalled it not long afterwards as I found it did slow things down.
    I didn't like it at all.

Gordon

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Also I think it conflicts with Sandboxie, which is a deal killer for me.

7. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

8. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

And what about this, from Wikipedia:

"The EULA (Paragraph #2) allows IBM to take files from the machine that it is installed on. You authorize personnel of IBM, as Your Sponsoring Enterprise's data processor, to use the Program remotely to collect any files or other information from your computer ... Some consider this a violation of security and privacy."

9. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I use it on one browser only (IE) where I access my financial websites , and nothing else, so as to isolate them from any contamination. I used it before IBM bought it and uninstalled it several times because it slowed the browser down and it did not play nice with SBIE.

CONS:
    It is a heavy downloader of definitions per day/month (at least twice an AV). Does not work with SBIE. Privacy T+C a bit invasive. The program installs an icon on every browser you have installed and it is impossible to remove it from the browsers that you do not want to use it on (I tried to get it off Chrome, but it is somehow hidden).

PROS:
    I have a Lenovo laptop and Lenovo desktop, so in retrospect I am happy that it is installed. Further investigations of Superfish, from the links here on Wilders and blogs elsewhere indicate that Lenovo is not alone in using this type of revenue tool. MiTM attacks happen without you knowing about them until it is too late. The latest release is not heavy on the system and I have found that my browser loads very quickly now. The GUI is good and you can edit, re: preferences to the degree of lockdown you want.

Second thoughts: I am going to use it on all my browsers until this current problem with hijacked root certificates is solved. Any website that I access and interact with will now be under the protection of Trusteer. I can no longer trust https alone.

FYI: It is called Trusteer Endpoint Protection.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  10. 800ster

800ster Registered Member

I like it. Most of the hate you find for it is based on reviews & experiences from several years ago. I find the recent versions light and unobtrusive. The EULA has scared some of the tin-foil hat brigade but I read it just saying that they will collect any file that is required for investigating malware.

11. itman

itman Registered Member

I have tried it at least twice in the past on my WIN 7 SP1 x64 PC that has plenty of horsepower. It slow IE to a crawl.

If you intend to use it, do an image backup first since uninstalling Rapport is a nightmare.

Also the software was developed by an Israeli company and I believe IBM bought the company but primary development is still being done by the original company.

Finally, Trusteer is only a very secure solution if your banking establishment also has the server side software installed.

12. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

This is what makes Wilders great. Lots of good responses, and I now have a better 'flavor' for Trusteer than I previously did.

Thanks Stapp. I need to look into that more. Why would one have to apply for an uninstall tool... that part does not sound good.

From you Kees, that is significant. It's all about the protection.

Mental note: Must finally try Sandboxie one of these days.

Thanks emmjay. Current user input is exactly what I was looking for.

The uninstall piece is important. I'll go to IBM directly to find out more about that... before I try. Thanks.

From talking to two IT reps at banks, this was my guess as to the current state of the product. Thanks.

LOL..

-Frank

13. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

There is a list of all the financial institutions that have the server side software installed (open the GUI, see trusted sites). If you add a site of your own it is listed under 'your added sites' and you can remove them if you change your mind. If you read the recommendations set out in the Trusteer install , they suggest that you add shopping, mail and social networking sites. It is a mystery to me how it works with these sites as I assume they do not have the server side software installed .... if you find out, let me know.

14. 142395

142395 Guest

Tho off topic and I have no experience on Trusteer, actually this type of MITM is easy to detect if you always check certificate with your eyes. I do this, so I wouldn't be scared if I were Lenovo user.
    No intention to defame Trusteer Rapport.

15. 800ster

800ster Registered Member

As I understand it there are effectively 2 parts to Trusteer:

1. Works with server side at bank to ensure secure, validated communication.
    2. Provides other functions, common to many other security products, such as detection of keyloggers, MITM, MIB etc. that can work for any other manually added site.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Sorry to bring up this blast from the past, but does anyone know if this was ever addressed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EimZQgt7WPg

There was a discussion here about it that included a Trusteer rep, and I found it disturbing that they refused to speak to this video demonstration of TR being bypassed. Basically their response was "TR hasn't been bypassed in the wild by banking trojans" (or words to that effect). I lose confidence in companies that won't acknowledge and fix problems (or effectively refute them).

Apart from the above I have tried TR on a couple of my computers and also experience unacceptable browser slowdowns. That was some time ago though and perhaps performance is better now.

17. fax

fax Registered Member

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

19. fax

fax Registered Member

Well, the answer basically is that TR protect the user from all know threads and they are not aware of any malware bypassing TR. Development keeps update TR to address any real bypass. The rest gets low priority in their agenda.

You can question the approach but they follow a logic.

20. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I never used it because of bad reviews which mentioned slowing down the system, and privacy problems. BTW, seems like IBM have changed the look of the Trusteer site.

21. I installed it again, but one of its executable was not ASLR enabled, so removed it immediately again

22. itman

itman Registered Member

Or, use EMET's certificate pinning feature and automate the process.

23. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

The question is also if Trusteer protects against stuff like Superfish, it doesn't perform MitB attacks.

24. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...talling-adware-on-new-computers.373547/page-4

We searched the Decentralized SSL Observatory for examples of certificates that Komodia should have rejected, but which it ended up causing browsers to accept, and found over 1600 entries. Affected domains included sensitive websites like Google (including mail.google.com, accounts.google.com, and checkout.google.com), Yahoo (including login.yahoo.com), Bing, Windows Live Mail, Amazon, eBay (including checkout.payments.ebay.com), Twitter, Netflix, Mozilla’s Add-Ons website, www.gpg4win.org, several banking websites (including mint.com and domains from HSBC and Wells Fargo), several insurance websites, the Decentralized SSL Observatory itself, and even superfish.com.

This post/thread has revealed more and more about what we needed to know. Trusteer is at least a good barrier to MiTM attacks for their partner websites. None of my root certificates for the sites I access have been hijacked. I have since added my mail and health insurance site ( they will at least have the login and passwords protected). I have two mail providers, gmail and windows live. They are both vulnerable to the current issue. On adding gmail it produced a handler request up in the address bar ... never seen that before. I left it as 'ignore'. Will be checking certificates over the next while to see if anything looks suspicious. I do not use social networking sites.

25. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Good info to further evaluate the product.

Thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.