Trusteer Rapport: EULA update & data collection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TheWindBringeth, Dec 13, 2014.

1. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Bank Security Software EULA Allows Spying On Users
    http://yro.slashdot.org/story/14/12/11/2233234/bank-security-software-eula-allows-spying-on-users

I wouldn't know what has changed or when, but that EULA is a must read if you are considering the installation/use of such software.

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I posted this gem from an AV EULA before, but I think that it sums up things pretty well:

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

This is exactly what I don't like about Trusteer and some AV's, you just don't know what the hell they are doing on your system.

4. Frank A

Frank A Registered Member

Many software products collect information but it is usually narrowly defined and does not usually include personally identifiable or financially related information. I uninstalled Trusteer Rapport after reading the EULA. To summarize: They can collect any information they decide is related to their purposes; however, if they are responsible for that information getting loose, their liability is limited to bodily injury and damage to real property or tangible personal property (how likely is that?). The ask the user to accept this and specifically to accept that they are not liable for any economic loss, viz:

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IS IBM, ITS PROGRAM DEVELOPERS OR SUPPLIERS LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE FOLLOWING, EVEN IF INFORMED OF THEIR POSSIBILITY:
    a. LOSS OF, OR DAMAGE TO, DATA;
    b. SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, OR INDIRECT DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY ECONOMIC CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES; OR
    c. LOST PROFITS, BUSINESS, REVENUE, GOODWILL, OR ANTICIPATED SAVINGS.

I imagine the protection afforded is pretty good, IBM doesn't have straw behind its ears. But this is too one-sided to me. I would expect at least some assistance in correcting whatever trouble a breach got me into. I'm assuming my bank was also protected by this no-liability shield---not any more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.