Trusted Platform Module Security Feature (TPM)

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Escalader, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

If your PC was manufactured in China as mine was, you may not get the TPM security feature installed even though I ordered Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit version. The purpose of this is to be able to use Bitlocker Drive Encrption.The order process (on line) offers no warning on this missing feature which according to them must be installed at factory.

I'm not sure I believe this claim.

The BIOS setup should show TPM on the security tab. Mine doesn't so the China built PC doesn't have the chip.

If you want this feature on the PC ensure you TALK to the vendor order/configuration guys up front.

This feature prevents a stolen notebook from being accessible to the thief as they must KNOW the key codes to unlock.

Watch out for this one.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

who is the vendor? I don't see why just because it is produced in China it should miss that feature. The factory will produce anything they are asked to

3. Escalader

The production/sale of TPM is banned in China.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Could well be but again I don't see they care much it was manufactured and exported to the West

5. Escalader

You would have to ask the China government, I have no idea, I can guess and speculate as poorly as the next guy!

My thread is to point out a problem for other members not explain politics and security policies.

6. Escalader

Wrong, Dell refused to provide me a fix for this and claim that Dell's latest PC offerings cannot have the TPM chip installed.

This is a serious matter for anybody interested in security on a PC.

Other vendors may be willing to provide the TPM feature but I don't yet know if they do or not.

I have bought my last Dell computer due to this policy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.