Truprevent wants me to uninstall NOD32.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by muf, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

I tried to install Panda's Truprevent. This is a stand alone application that is designed to work with your existing anti-virus. When i ran the uninstaller it tells me that i must uninstall the following application - NOD32. I also have KAV 4.5 on this pc and it didn't ask me to remove that. Anyone know why it has targeted NOD32? Maybe because NOD's advanced heuristics make it a rival? and if they claim that Truprevent is supposed to work with my AV then why is it picking on NOD? I even disabled AMON and it still tells me to uninstall NOD32. A friend of mine has got Norton AV 2005 and he runs Truprevent with it. It apears that Panda is targeting NOD32 on purpose.

Anyone got any idea's, or tried to run these two together?

muf

2. BornMember

BornMember Registered Member

Hi Muf

Try disabling AMON adn IMON before you install and then enable them after installation. Does this work?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  3. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

When I tried installing TruPrevent, I had to UNINSTALL NOD32.

Then after installing TruPrevent, I reinstalled NOD32.

I didn't like TruPrevent...so now it's gone ^_^

4. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

TruPrevent isn't that good at all...better rely on the AH's of NOD32.

5. BornMember

BornMember Registered Member

Hi Kye-U

Would like to know why you disliked it?

Cheers

Born

6. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I tried it too in the past and it's just like Panda.. a lot of yohoo but in fact nothing to cheer about. And very CPU and RAM hungry too.

7. muf

muf Registered Member

Hi,

I don't run IMON, DMON or EMON. Only AMON, which i disabled. It still tells me to uninstall NOD32. I may try uninstalling NOD32 and then installing Truprevent, and after that reinstall NOD. But i'm reluctant as Panda may be aware of a compatability problem running both together. I'd hate to uninstall NOD just to be able to install Truprevent only to find NOD won't go back on. I'll think about it. I read some encouraging things about Truprevent which made me want to try it. Have a read http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,13508670

Thanks for the comments and advice.

muf

8. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

I had problems uninstalling it, and left a lot of junk behind.

My computer also seemed to have slowed down.

The GUI was also...TOO simple. I would have liked it to be a bit more advanced. All it had were three check boxes.

9. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

The reason I think that TruPrevent ask for the uninstallation of NOD32 is because Panda Software know that they will never made an heuristic or proactive detection better than NOD32. NEVER!!
    Some years ago, I installed Panda AV with NOD running. I disabled ALL services of Panda and Windows started to fail, even with all Panda's services disabled. It doesn't occurs for example with Panda + KAV.
    The Panda people are angry with Eset, as Eset can made an heuristic much much more better.

10. .....

..... Registered Member

I doubt that.

Truprevent and NOD32's AH work differently. Truprevent is kinda like an IDS while AH works via emulation.

I installed Panda a while back during my trial of NOD32 on this machine, windows booted fine.

11. Patrician

Patrician Guest

If you have an AMD 64Bit CPU then Panda's TruPrevent will cause you problems unless you are confident in fiddling around with the DEP settings and take all RPC calls out of the DEP file listing.

AMD 64Bit CPU's are the first to use hardware DEP and it is this that causes the problems with Panda's TruPrevent.

I really wish PandaSoftware would get around to sorting out this as I was a happy Panda user for 2 years, and never had a thing get past it.

12. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Aren't there some Intel CPUs as well that also utilize the same thing? I forgot what they "named" it.

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hardware DEP in Windows XP uses the NX (No eXecute) bit on AMD64 processors and the XD (eXecute Disable) bit on some Intel processors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.