TrueImage on Bootable CD Says Archive Corrupt

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Steve.Zorch, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve.Zorch

Steve.Zorch Registered Member

When I

1 Boot True Image from CD (a CD I created with True Image)
    2 Select Full Version
    3 Select Verify Archive
    4 Browse to the Archive that was created under Windows XP
    5. and Select Proceed.

The Archive Verification process reports Corrupted Archive.

When I go back into Windows XP and run True Image, and Verify the Archive, True image goes through a lengthy verification and verifies properly.

Will I be able to restore my system from bootable CD if the Bootable CD thinks the archive is corrupt?

(P.S. I have an outstanding support submission on this. [Acronis #665703] and my build number is version 9/0 build 2323 )

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Steve,

What is the disk geometry of your system? Internal, external, USB, IDE, SATA.... etc o_O

Let us know the system details and we may have a solution. :)

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Build 2323 had several problems and you have found one of them.
    The solution is to register and download the latest build 3677. Uninstall 2323 using add remove programs before you install 3677. The next step is to burn a new 3677 recovery CD.
    Updating to the latest build in this fashion will leave you existing image intact and you should find that it can be used from the new rescue CD.

Xpilot

4. Philipp

Philipp Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I'm using Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation and I have just updated to Build 3718 (July 25, 2006).

If I do a "Validate Backup Archive" from the installed application under Windows XP (i.e. not the bootable CD), I get the same behaviour Steve.Zorch describes when using the application on the bootable CD.
    With a very small image, I get the result that the verify process does not end, and on the status bar the progress of the operation counts well over 100 %...

The problems occur both with images written with old builds as well as with the current build. That means that there seems to be a big bug in the verify function. :(

KR, philipp

5. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Phillip,

As I requested in my post to Steve....

6. Philipp

Hi Tabvla,

sorry about the missing details.

It is an internal IDE drive with NTFS format on my laptop computer (Dell D600).

The images I did the verify procedure with where not full partition images, but images of selected folders.
    I tried the verify procedure with an image of a system partition - that worked well.

BTW: I also tried a restore of the image that was validated as corrupt - that worked without problems.

BR,
    philipp

7. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

The Dell D600 uses a hidden Utilities Partition. Have you taken this into account?

8. Philipp

Hi,

I did not backup this partition.

But I think this is irrelevant. Everything worked fined with old releases. These problems just occur with the current release. I have validated the same archives with an old build on a different machine, and there they are recognized as OK.

BR, philipp

9. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Phillip,

Let me see if I understand this. What you are saying is.....

* You take an image of, for example, your My Documents folder

* You save the image on the same disk

* You then try to validate the image

* The validation either "hangs" or it returns an error

Is this correct?

10. Philipp

Hi Tabvla,

what you understood is almost perfectly correct - there is only one point which is different. ;)

I saved the image on a different disk. The folder was on a data partition D:, and I saved the image on the system partition C:.

Regards, philipp

11. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

OK. The system is a Dell laptop. I assume that it has only 1 internal disk - is this correct? The 2nd disk that you mention, is this an external USB disk?

12. Philipp

Hi again,
    No, I have two partitions on one disk. I think I misunderstood your last post. In fact, I save the image on the same drive but on a different partition.

Regards, philipp

13. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

OK.... now we have the layout of the system sorted! :D

Although this is probably not relevant to your question, on a Laptop, where there is usually only 1 disk, the recommendation is to use the Acronis Secure Zone.

In terms of your problem, at a guess (and this is only a guess) my thinking is that if the problem only occurs when you try to validate from the Linux shell that there may be some Linux driver that is not 100% compatible with your system and which is perhaps resulting in a timing difference. TI9 may see this as a corruption of data.

The only suggestion that I can make is to log a support call with Acronis and provide them with the full specs of your system and ask them to confirm whether the Linux shell contains all the up-to-date drivers for your system.

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Steve and Philipp,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that, as Tabvla has already mentioned above, situations when Acronis True Image validates the same backup archive as corrupted when it is operating in Linux based Acronis Rescue Environment, i.e. when one is using the 'Full' version of Bootable Rescue CD, and as non-corrupted when it is running from within Windows usually arise if Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD does not fully support or poorly support storage device this particular backup archive is saved to. Also, problems of this sort may appear because of a faulty memory module.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build of the corresponding Acronis True Image version (build 3677 for Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and build 3718 for Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation) which is available for downloading in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing the latest build.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

Then please re-create your backup archive anew and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with the latest build of the corresponding Acronis True Image version then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

Please use Bootable Rescue CD made with the latest build of the corresponding Acronis True Image version in order to create sysinfo.txt file.

If the backup archive in question is saved to some kind of an external hard drive then please keep this drive connected and powered on while creating Acronis Report and Linux system information.

- Where do you store this particular backup archive?

- Does the problem appear both when you create and afterwards validate disk\partition images and file-based backups?

- If the backup archive validation process hangs at some point, please let us know when this hang-up occurs exactly;

- Perform a memory test using the memtest86+ utility and inform us about the result;

- Try saving backups to any other location(s), i.e. CD, DVD or any other internal, external or network drive(s), and then validate them both from under Windows and using Bootable Rescue CD. Let us know the results;

- Try moving\copying large files, e.g. disk\partition images themselves, between the hard drives and comparing their checksums calculated using eXpress CheckSum Calculator before and after the files were moved\copied. Inform us about the results.

If the backup archive having the issue is located on some kind of a networked hard drive (e.g. SMB share or FTP file server) then please do the following:

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build of the corresponding Acronis True Image version and press 'F11' key when the selection screen advising you to select either 'Full', 'Safe' or 'Boot into Windows' option appears;

- After you get the 'Linux Kernel Settings' prompt, please remove the 'quiet' word, click on the 'OK' button, choose 'Full' version and wait for # prompt to appear;

- Issue the following commands:

asamba dhcp -n
    asamba masters

- Write down the output after each of the commands or use a digital camera to make a shots of the output screens;

- Insert a diskette in a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the net.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskette.

Please note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt and net.txt files are not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters, i.e. SYSINFO.TXT, NET.TXT, or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive (the same applies to the net.txt file).

Please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  15. Philipp

Hello everyone,

sorry also for the delay from my side. I just tested it again.

The validation as corrupt both occurs with the bootable rescue CD as well as with the windows application! It occurs on two different machines, so memory problems are very unlikely. It also occurs both if the archive is on an external USB harddrive as well as if it is on a local hard drive.
    What is also interesting: If I use an old build (e.g. 3633), the validation works, even for image files created with the new build 3718! And restoring the image works fine even with the new build 3718 - so it is in fact not corrupt!

I am using build 3718 of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation

I have of course also done that!

As mentioned above on local and on external USB hard drives.

It only occurs for file-based backups.

In my last tests the archive was just reported as corrupt. In earlier tests it did not finish, and the percentage counter was running over 100%.

As described above, it occurred in all combinations.

I will do that straigth away.

Thank you very much for your support!

Kind regards,

philipp

16. Scopacetic

Scopacetic Registered Member

I had the exact same problem. See https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=844835#post844835. I never heard from support, but did succeed in verifying and restoring the image using BartPE https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=146100. I also found that old archives were fine as judged by old builds and were "corrupt" with the newer builds, including 3677. My system is over 1 yr old with nothing new, so the problem has to be with the current builds rather than unsupported hardware.

17. Philipp

Hello everyone,

thanks, Scopacetic, for your answer!

OK, that's good to hear! ;)

THX for this hint - that's a good idea.

OK, that confirms exactly what my feeling is. I am a bit angry that the support people asked me for all the system info files, as this happens on different hardware. This is now confirmed by your experience.

But what is more disappointing is that Acronis Support obviously does not care much und does not try to reproduce the error. :( I am quite sure it can be reproduced.

Anyway, the problem is not that bad, as I simply verify the image files by restoring them to a different location. As it is only rather small images (up to 1 GB), this is not a problem. For large images of whole partitions the verify works well.

But of course this issue must be fixed! :isay:

Best regards,

philipp

18. Philipp

Hi everyone,

I promptly received an answer from Acronis support! :D

The only thing I ask is: Why the heck did they not post this answer in this forum before? o_O
    That would have saved me and others a lot of work in investigating the problem and doing all the tests. :mad:

KR, philipp

19. scottdr36

scottdr36 Registered Member

I am having the same issue with ver. 10 after successfull backup , validation comes up with same archive is corrupt error, BUT I can mount and explore throught the image

20. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Acronis is not known for a logical, efficient approach to conveying information to the user community and as a result many support issues that could be quickly resolved aren't. There are many questions that are asked over and over and over... in this forum that could have been included in a FAQ or the Before you Post sticky.

I certainly don't fault setting up a Knowledge Base but the fact it is on the Acronis site and the user forum is here -makes one wonder if we have right hands and left hands unaware of what the others are doing.

21. scottdr36

scottdr36 Registered Member

3rd time, same error with file excluded. this version is just as glitchy as the last

update: i excluded an image file i made of my laptop this time for a laptop i have and the proccess completed successfully.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  22. MaverickOP

MaverickOP Registered Member

The management at Acronis truly has their head up their.... well forget it. After reading this thread, i'm convinced the left hand is not communicating with the right hand. I'm going to stop buying Acronis products until they can clean up their act and stop this non-sense.

They release a job that is 1/2-arse done (case in point ATI v9.0 and v10); they can't even post a change log on their website; and you send off an e-mail to their tech support and it takes forever. That thing they call "knowledge base" on their website is horrendous - I thought MSKB was bad - there's nothing notable about it. You can't even define the search parameters!

Wow what great management. Next time I'll be going with Norton Ghost.

23. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Originally posted by MaverickOP...

I am sure that there are many on this Forum who share Maverick's sentiments, but before you jump ship you may want to consider the following:
    • ATI is technically the most advanced product currently available. The underlying software engineering is sound and is superior to similar products.
    • Engineers have no control over management decisions. Management decide when and how to release a product. Engineers make decisions based on technology. Management make decisions based on market forces.
    • Norton Ghost is not without its problems. In fact a large percentage of ATI customers were previously using Ghost. Subscribe to a Ghost Forum and spend some time going throught the posts before making a decision.

24. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

Let's keep the discussion centered on the topic at hand, not alternate competitive options. If you wish to hold that discussion, use a general section of the site.

Blue

25. MaverickOP

MaverickOP Registered Member

When you shell out good money for a finalized product, you want it to work relatively well without excessive bugs. I remember very well that within the first 3 months of v9.0 being released, there were atleast 3-4 new builds (or "patches" if you will). That's just ridiculous. I can understand a patch or two during the initial phase, but 4 builds !? That's a good example of the management rushing a product to market out of pure greed.

Ghost may have it's problems, but they don't release a product pre-maturely and use the public joe as guinea pigs. You want to test out a product - then call it a beta. And if you want to rag on Norton Ghost, then post specifics. Symantec bought out PowerQuest about 2-3 years ago. What you may think is Ghost is really Drive Image.

You've got it so clear cut and dry - have you ever worked in any large corporation? In reality, they have a team of engineers and management that work together in formulating a product. Pre-maturely releasing a product before working out all the major bugs reflects more about the mangement style of the company than it does about the software engineers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.