TrueImage doesn't recognize harddisk in Vista

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Steef, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steef

Steef Registered Member

Last week I downloaded TrueImage 10 Home (4.942). I've recently bought a new pc with Vista Home Premium preinstalled; before I used Norton Ghost, but there is no Ghost-version available for Vista yet. I experienced some strange problem: I am able to make images, also images of the system-partition (C:), but for some strange reason recovery is not possible. When I start TrueImage from the bootable cd, it doesn't recognize the C:-drive. I tried to make a Acronis Secure Zone on C: but again, after the necessary reboot, no Secure Zone was made and the size of C: was unchanged. The C:partition is 280 Gb, NTFS. Does anybody have a idea to fix this problem?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Steef,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you have recreated Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after downloading build 4942, if you have used an earlier build before.

Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the drive in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Please also collect the exact vendor and device names of the hard drive in question.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. Steef

Steef Registered Member

Thanks, Marat.

Unfortunately until now, I did not succeed to solve the problem. As you suggested, I posted some more information to the Customer Service (Alexander Gladkov), and I hope he will be able to fix it! Thanks for your suggestions!

Regards,
    Steef.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Can you tell us about the hardware you are using? What brand of computer and model or motherboard and model. SATA hard drives, RAID, etc.

Thanks

5. Steef

Steef Registered Member

Hi John - I already posted some more detailed information to the Customer Service, but I'm happy to repeat it here as I sent it to Acronis:

"I booted using the acpi=off parameter, as suggested, that made no difference. Still the same error message: “E000101F4: Acronis True Image Home has not found any hard disk drive”.

- I downloaded additional drivers from http://download.acronis.com/support/SnapAPI_l_s_e.zip, made a new bootable cd, tried to boot without and with the acpi=off parameter, but without success.

- I tried to create reports as suggested in Acronis Help Post, but again this caused troubles: I downloaded the Acronis report-utility but it didn’t work: “E000101F4: Not enough privileges - You do not have enough privileges to start Acronis System Report”, although I was logged in as Administrator. I attached some log-files from TI.

- I tried to make a sysinfo.txt file after booting from the rescue cd, as suggested in Acronis Help Post, however, my computer has no floppy drive, so I attached an USB-floppy drive. Unfortunately the commands didn’t work and I got no sysinfo-file on my floppy.

- I made a System Report about my computer, but I’m afraid it is in Dutch… Anyway: my harddisk is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 Gb, type ST3320820AS (see: http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/sata/st3320820as.html), two partitions, NTFS 278.09 Gb, and FAT32 19,99 Gb.

- About my computer: it is a Medion MD 8822 (description in Dutch: http://www.medion.de/md8822/nl/, in German: http://www.aldi-sued.de/de/html/offers/1213_3218.htm). I found information about one of its predecessors that the BIOS of this computer is completely locked, however I can enter the BIOS if necessary.

- Another point of interest is maybe that the computer has a possibility to start some multimedia-features (e.g.: watch tv, dvd, listen radio/audio) outsideVista, apparently from Linux or some other shell. I don’t know whether that might interfere with the bootable Acronis-cd?

So far I sent last Saturday.
    In the meantime I was advised to run the sysinfo command again and make screenshots by camera. I did so and sent the abracadabra to Acronis.
    Let me add some more information about hardware:
    Intel Core2 CPU 6400@2,13 GHz
    Motherboard: MSI MS 7318

If you have any suggestions?? I'm running out of my trial period for Acronis and I'm not so convinced that the new Norton Ghost will be able to find the harddisk if Acronis can't.

Thanks in advance!

Steef

6. TGIF

TGIF Registered Member

Hi Steef,

I´m running 100% same problem with my MD8822 + TI 10.
    The internal harddisk (´C´ + ´D´) is Seagate ST3320820AS (S-ATA) which is not recognized by my TI 10 boot cd.

An external connected USB(2.0)-HD is recognized.
    After changing the external HD connection to FIREWIRE it is also recognized.

Did you already receive any useful help?

o_O

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  7. ialora

ialora Registered Member

I'm having the same problem, but I'm running WinXP Pro. The latest build of Disk Director can't find any drives either. Both apps worked some months back. I tried turning off my Virus Scanner. Although, one of my other computers is running the same virus scanner and all works fine. Although, I'm one version behind with TI10 on that system.

8. Steef

Steef Registered Member

Hi TGIF,
    Unfortunately the problem is not fixed yet. I supposed that part of the trouble was caused by drivers from Norton Ghost (on the Recovery-disk, the D-partition), so I formatted the whole disk and repartitioned it - however, TI still fails to find the harddisk.
    The helpdesk of Acronis is still trying to find a solution. First I was not able to send a report-file, since the pc refused to boot from an usb-floppy disk, however, after enabling it in the BIOS, it worked. So I'm now waiting for new suggestions from Acronis. I will keep you informed!

@Ialora: I have no experience with the combination of WinXP and TI, I used Norton Ghost before.

Regards,
    Steef

9. TGIF

TGIF Registered Member

Thanks in advance, Steef, I would be glad to here about it.
    If I will receive any solution I´m going to post it here.

My assumption is that TI v10 can´t manage the S-ATA disk controller of the MD8822 motherboard.

WinXP Pro conditions:
    Ialora, I have used both Ghost 2003 (earlier) and actually TI v10 without any problems (Samsung notebook and desktop systems).
    I imaged ATA and S-ATA disks to external disks both via USB 2.0 and FIREWIRE and had really best results.
    Also restoring the images to the source disks worked absolutely error free.
    Same 100% error free results with cloning (only TI v10) the source disks to 2nd similar disks.

So I see no conflicts of Ghost (2003) vs. TI (v10) under WinXP Pro.

10. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

In cases where the TI Recovery CD which runs a Linux operating system can't deal with hardware, the BartPE boot disk which runs a Windows environment and can use the Windows drivers is often the answer.

11. TGIF

TGIF Registered Member

Hi jmk94903,
    I read about that in other forums.
    But that way can´t be the final official solution of Acronis - right?

;)

12. ialora

ialora Registered Member

I've never had/used Norton Ghost. I do not have a SATA drive on this system. Although, it does have a SATA controller builtin to the mother board. You might have something there though. The last time I backed up this system with TI, I had a mother board that did not have a SATA controller. Everything worked fine. Then I replaced the motherboard with a newer one which does have SATA. This could be why my problems started. However, I use TI10 on 3 other systems and they all have SATA controllers, two of which are using them. The SATA controller is disabled on the system that it having the problems. I wonder if enabling it would make any difference? I did try uninstalling both TI10 and DiskDirector10. I ran a registery cleaner afterwards. Man! Acronis's uninstaller appears to uninstall nothing! I had oodles of registery enteries left, plus my TI folder, and various drivers. Nothing has helped so far.

13. TGIF

TGIF Registered Member

It´s up to Acronis, I suppose.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  14. globe_trotter

globe_trotter Registered Member

I've had some problems with XP and sata disk. With BartPe bootable cd I resolved. Now I'd like using Vista and probably BartPe cd doesn't work with it. Vista has own backup (full computer too...but i don't know if it is equal at Trueimage, probabbly not)

15. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

BartPE will probably work with Vista. but you still need to build it with XP as a source. Bart has not released a version that can use Vista as a build source.

16. TGIF

TGIF Registered Member

The central point of this thread is (please look at the beginning):
    ´When I start TrueImage from the bootable cd, it doesn't recognize the C:-drive.´

Sure, BartPE CD will work with Vista - but that is not the question.

The question ist:
    HOW can we get ATI BOOT CD to recognize the S-ATA harddisk/controller of the damned MD 8822 PC?

o_O

17. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Submit a support request Per the directions on Post#2. There is obviously no Linux driver on the CD for this controller.:D

18. TGIF

TGIF Registered Member

Please read the posts after #2:
    The Acronis support (Marat Setdikov) does already know the problem.
    May be they are working on it...

19. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TGIF,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that the problem and solution are environment dependant. Therefore, please follow the instructions in my previous post to collect the necessary information and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

20. TGIF

TGIF Registered Member

Sorry, but I am really not amused to act as beta tester after I payed for ATI v10.

:mad:

21. Steef

Steef Registered Member

Hi TGIF,

The Acronis Expert Team yesterday supplied me with a new ISO image specially designed for my MD8822 and its VIA-controller. I tried it, and it works perfect. You might ask the Acronis team and refer to my request number: [Acronis #975581].

Kind regards,

Steef

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.