TrueImage 11 w/ MultiOS Disk (w/Bootit)?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RPMtl, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RPMtl

RPMtl Registered Member

I own Acronis TrueImage 11 and have used Bootit NG to manage a Vist64 and XP install on two 50gb partitions on a single 300gb drive. A third 190gb partition on the drive is used for common files and a 4th 8gb partition is where Bootit NG lives.

My question:

Can I install Acronis TrueImage 11 in XP only and use it to backup the whole drive (all 4 partitions) and then, if the drive fails, use it to restore everything, including the Bootit partition? I've used True Image 10 and 11 to successfully backup and restore single OS systems. But having a multi-boot system has me worried it might not work properly.

Is there any reason to run TrueImage 11 with Vista64 instead?

Will TrueImage 11 backup/restore the Vista64 partition even though under XP it has not been assigned a drive letter?

Thanks,

Russell

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello RPMtl,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Yes, Acronis True Image will back up the whole hard drive with all data. Depending on how your boot manager handles partitions, you might want to use sector by sector method to back up and/or restore the drive. You can find detailed information on how to use Acronis True Image 11 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. RPMtl

RPMtl Registered Member

Thank you for responding. It was only after setting things up with Bootit that I've became aware that Acronis offers a very similar feature via Acronis Disk Manager which I also own ... had I know I would have probably tried ADM first.

Out of curiosity, is it difficult to change a Multi-OS manager once one is already working (with a 4 primary partition setup)?

I was successful in doing a backup and restore using TI-11 but I had to specifically choose the partitions to backup and restore. The 'Default' settings did not work. Once restored I had to reinstall and restore my Bootit backup to its EMBRM partition and then everything worked just fine.

Is it possible to restore partitions in another order than what was on the original disk? If I want my XP install partition to be at the beginning (fastest) part of the HD is it possible to restore a partition to this area? Do I just need to restore partitions one at a time and in the order that I past them to inhabit the HD?

Thanks and sorry for 2 questions in one post :)

Russell

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello RPMtl,

We are sorry for delayed response.
    Again, it would depend on how the particular boot manager works. For example, some boot managers hide partitions by marking them as unallocated space.
    If all partitions are kept in the partition table, you should be able to remove your current boot manager, and then install Acronis OS Selector at the boot time using Acronis Bootable Media.
    Yes, to change partition order you can restore them one at a time. Please notice that some operating systems locate the boot partition by it's position in partition list, so they may requre editing of some configuration files before they are able to boot properly in the new location.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.