TrueImage 11 bootable CD doesn't find NAS drives

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ca92009, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ca92009

ca92009 Registered Member

In the past I have always been able to see my Buffalo NAS drive when using the TrueImage 11 bootable CD on my old ThinkPad. I just got a new ThinkPad and when using the TrueImage 11 bootable CD the NAS drive is not found.

I tried this on some other ThinkPads with XP Pro and they all can see the Buffalo NAS drive. Then, I found a model identical to my new ThinkPad and it also doesn't see the Buffalo NAS drive.

Does the TrueImage 11 bootable CD automatically scan the network to find NAS drives or does it somehow use the BIOS settings to determine what it does?

USB drives always seem to work, so I will be forced into buying a USB drive for backup if I can't get the TrueImage 11 bootable CD to work with my NAS drive.

Can someone explain what is going on here?

2. ca92009

I forgot to mention that my new ThinkPad is also running XP Pro.

3. ca92009

Just did more testing. TI 11 bootable CD doesn't show any network resources on the new ThinkPad. On my old ThinkPad I could click on Network and it showed everything connected, including the NAS drive. The new one only indicates the possibility of connecting to NDAS drives, which I don't have.

It seems like there is something preventing the TI 11 bootable CD from getting to the network. At the very beginning of the Bootable CD startup, I see some text flash on the screen for about 1 second that might be trying to tell me something. Problem is, one second isn't long enough to read it.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Good detective work.

The problem is that the network adapter on your new Thinkpad is not recognized by the TI 11 Rescue CD's drivers. There's no way for the user to add drivers to the Rescue CD.

There are three possibilities:
    1. Contact Acronis tech support and ask for a special TI 11 Rescue CD with the new Thinkpad drivers.

2. Upgrade to TI 2009 which should have the necessary drivers.

3. Build a VistaPE or BartPE boot disk and add the drivers yourself.

If you only need the Rescue CD for restoring backups from the NAS drive, you might install the Trial version of TI 2009 and created that Rescue CD. It can't create backups, but it can restore TI 11 backups. That would also confirm that the needed drivers are included in TI 2009 before purchasing it.

Be sure to make a full system backup before installing TI 2009 so that you can completely remove it in case there are any problems.

5. ca92009

Thanks jmk94903. I'll give these suggestions a try.

6. ca92009

I tried the TI 2009 boot CD and it does see the NAS drives. I haven't tried a restore yet because I am waiting for a new hard drive to arrive from Lenovo.
    Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.