TrueImage 10.0 clone hd, with Grub as bootmanager Win XP Pro, Linux boots, XP doesn't

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kidlark, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kidlark

kidlark Registered Member

Hi Group,

I cloned my laptop HD. On the laptop I use Grub to boot a linux or a Win XP installation. After successfully cloning the hd, i can only boot the linux installation. The win xp won't start anymore. It doesn't put out any error messages. When I boot the Laptop with an XPPe and look at the partitions the XP Partition is marked as System and active.

Do you have an ideas?

Thanx,

Greets.

Georg

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Re: TrueImage 10.0 clone hd, with Grub as bootmanager Win XP Pro, Linux boots, XP doe

with windows xp, I always rule out the drive letters first.

Usually if you have a drive letter change problem the windows xp will hang/reboot at the logon screen but I've encountered situations where I just get the dos screen.

The drive letter on the cloned xp has to be the same as in the source hard drive. You need to read the drive letter from the registry of the clone drive.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kidlark,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try reactivating Grub and see if that solves the problem. If the issue persist, could you please clarify, at what stage does Windows boot process stops?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. kidlark

Re: TrueImage 10.0 clone hd, with Grub as bootmanager Win XP Pro, Linux boots, XP doe

Hi,

I'll try to reactivate the Grub, but it'll have to wait 'till tonight. I'll post to what results I've come.

Greets

Georg

5. kidlark

Hi Group,

:'(

I'm depressed. Acronis True Image 10.0 home gets me down. Might be I'm to stupid for it. But when I think a little while, it all looks quite self explaining and I even watched the videos on the installation CD.

My Installation:

Grub Bootloader
    Windows XP
    Linux
    Vendor Diagnostic Partition (IBM)

My target:

Clone my laptops HD 60GB on a bigger, newer one with 100GB.

I've tried:

1. Connection new HD to a usb-ide connector => cloning HD to new Disk, during the cloning i rezided the partition (with true image).

My result. The linux on the new Disk boots, even while the hd is still conected via USB. But the windows partitions never boots.

2.) Making backup image to an other externel USB-HD. Image was tested and True Image reported everything fine.
    Removing the old HD from the laptop, putting the new in it. Using Acronis Boot CD for recovery I successfully (?) recover the image to the new disk (True Image resized the partitions, during recovery).

My result: Linux boots, Windows doesn't. When I use the Grub entry to boot my XP, the last displayed message is

Chainloader+1

No message like no operating system no found, or missing NT Bootloader or whats so ever, just no boot. Desktop is black, well allmost and nothing happens.

So what now, should I try and use Ghost?

Greets

Georg

6. kidlark

Hi Group,

the solution was - Sorry Acronis - using a old version of Ghost 8.0 from a windows XPPe CD. I made an image to my external USB HD, switched to the new hd, then I restored the image, while resizing my windows partition.

One boot later, everything worked.
    The Linux installtion, the XP installation, everything as it should.

Now I regret spending my money for true image 10.0 home.

:mad:

Even more I wonder if I can recommend a, I hope future, customer, Acronis® True Image Echo Server für Windows. which they want to use for backup purposes.

:doubt:

Regards

Georg

7. tjcanno

tjcanno Registered Member

At least you have an option to use something else. My laptop is dead and my only backup image was created by ATI 10 on DVDs. So now, after a hard drive crash (replaced by Dell for free, with nothing on it) my laptop will not boot from the restored image I did with ATI 10. "NTLDR is missing". That should be on the image. Everything should be on the image.

I have been creating full drive images for years now. In the past, as a test, I have booted from the Rescue CD and verified the images with that. I've done everything to make sure I could recover from a disaster like this. And now when I need it, Acronis lets me down hard. It has been a WEEK now since I asked for help [Acronis #1414415] and I have heard NOTHING except for the auto-reply confirmation of my request.

My system is quite simple, with no boot manager. Just boot into XP Pro. Nothing exotic.

Jim

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  8. kidlark

Hi Jim,

you should try to repair your installation with either the repair console or a repair installation with your xp-OS cdrom.

I think with the repair console fixboot or fixmbr should do the job,
    when using the repair console help gives you the list of all commands.

if this fails an repair installation of xp should discover an existing xp installation an ask you if you want to repair your installation.

to access the repair console press R when booting from the OS cdrom, to make an repair installation ,choose install and when asked if you want to repair your existing installtion, just follow the screen instructions.

if in doubt, google will help.

good luck, :thumb:

regards

Georg

9. smiley2

smiley2 Registered Member

Shadows of the past...

Is it really impossible for Acronis to to do a 1:1 clone, like others
    do this since years?

I remember such problems using TI 6,
    when boot sectors (not the mbr) were wiped out in the restore process.

Maybe the newer program today gets confused
    because there are two bootable partitions.
    Is it possible to compare the active and hidden status
    of the partitions on the original disk and on the clone?

The "NTLDR missing" could be a hint for trying to boot a hidden partition,
    on the other hand grub should be smart enough to handle them.

:'(

10. kidlark

Hi Smiley,
    Hi Group,

>Maybe the newer program today gets confused
    >because there are two bootable partitions.
    >Is it possible to compare the active and hidden status
    >of the partitions on the original disk and on the clone?

Shouldn't true image 10.0 home enable a "dummy" home user to create images oh his/her installtion and enable him/her to restore easily without running in any stupid problems? That's exactly what acronis promises and this is exactly what didn't work in my and obviously in other cases.

>The "NTLDR missing" could be a hint for trying to boot a hidden partition,
    >on the other hand grub should be smart enough to handle them.

In my case, the xp didn't give any error messages! Just no boot. Last Message displayed was chainloader+1, which is not a xp message. Even if there is a cunning way to get the xp running again, i should not be forced to use clever tricks, just restore and be happy. that's what i expected and what I paid for.

The old ghost version, even though resizing the partitions, did not cause any trouble, it just worked. like it or not, i would have prefered true image to have done the job, not only because I don't like symantec, but because it's the imageing program I used to recommend my customers! Happily none of them bought it anyway.

Perhaps I should write a readers letter to my favourite IT magazine the famous c't and asked them how acronis always managed to earn their recommendation!

[MOVE]So long and thanks for the fish[/MOVE],
    Greets,
    Georg

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kidlark,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that "chainloader+1" is GRUB message. Most likely, it indicates that GRUB wasn't able to find any operating system on the partition it was pointed to. Please make sure the partition specified in GRUB settings is the correct (Windows) one, as described in paragraph 7.4.1.1. "Naming Conventions for Hard Disks and Partitions" of this article.

Please notice that Acronis True Image Home versions do not support Linux operating system, so it is often necessary to fix Linux bootloaders (such as GRUB) after cloning/restoing.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. kidlark

Thanks,

just got a call from a sales person from acronis germany. Said more or less the same thing. Should use the workstation, not such a old thing as TI 10.0.

Well Ghost 8.0 did the job. I think it's even older.

Greets

Georg

13. smiley2

smiley2 Registered Member

ok, finally they found the way out. :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.