TrueCrypt, What to backup?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by samuel336, Sep 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samuel336

samuel336 Registered Member

Sep 7, 2013
    I have two data backup drives encrypted with TC.
    Both disks are 3TB USB External and has advanced format,which means 4K bytes per sector instead of 512.

Drive #1 has no partition and whole disk is encrypted "\Device\Harddisk3\Partition0".
    Drive #2 has two partitions,one is the hidden partition #1 and other the data partiton #2 of size 2.7TB created by me.I was unable to delete the hidden partition #1.I partiotined drive using GPT,so i guess hidden partition #1 has something to do with basically i have to mount "\Device\Harddisk4\Partition2".

I want to know what all needs to be backed up so that in the event of a disaster i can get back as much data as possible.

Things i am planning to take backup:
    1. Headers.
    2. copying 1GB data with Winhex from sector 0 from Drive #1 and that i can restore this beginning data back in case partition gets deleted or headers corrupted.
    3. noting down(or taking screenshot) the partition location in Drive #2 from that if my partition gets deleted somehow then i would know where the partition was before and this might help me get my data back.right? and nothing to note in Drive #1?

Anything else i should be backing which can help me in future data disaster?
    Anything related to NTFS filesystem which i can take backup of?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.