TRUECRYPT SECURITY

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by anon_private, Dec 17, 2014.

1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Kind of like when a former (known shady/rogue) codebreaker went to work for Firefox to help improve their cryptography. v28 was the first one he had a hand in helping with. And just one version later (29), it was barely even distinguishable as Firefox anymore, and there was less control over what you could modify & tweak. And it'll only get worse from there.

There has been more regression than progress over the past 10 years or so in the industry. For every shiny new tool, like EMET or UAC, there's a dozen vulnerable services/processes tied into the essential functionality of the OS that you can't close down without bricking the entire thing. And also in that time Big Brother and/or 3 letter agencies have infiltrated these outfits... some of which were not only once trustworthy, but even had the spirit of freedom fighters. You just don't know who you can trust anymore, if anyone. And that really sucks.

And that's why many of us choose to stick with the old school/legacy stuff unless given a compelling reason to change. And if/when that day comes... change to what, exactly? This new stuff that we know can't be trusted?

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

IMO, we've been losing control of what we use for some time. The one thing they can't do (at the present time) is force one to update to that glorified spyware, not that they don't try. They've blown the risks of using older software and operating systems so far out of proportion as to defy belief. I thought they'd taken it to ridiculous extremes when support for 98 ended. Then came the end of XP and the doomsday hype went off of the deep end. I'm still waiting for all of the previous doomsdays to happen.

AFAIC, as long as what I use is compatible with what I need and the sites I visit, I'll keep using it no matter how stupid the rhetoric gets. If the day comes that I would have to use something that I don't trust, I'll shut it off.

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Do you still use Firefox at all, Lucid? Are there any browsers that you trust? How about cyberdragon?

4. caspian

Are you referring to Windows 8?

5. noone_particular

That's one of them.

6. caspian

Do you think Windows 7 is really bad? If you use something like Shadow Defender, what can really be saved?

7. noone_particular

I haven't used Shadow Defender so I'm not familiar with the extent of its abilities. Does it restore everything or just select components? Does its restore overwrite all data logged by the system, including that stored in ADS and all of the registry? If I understand SD correctly, it may be able to prevent the storing of user activity records but it can't the existing data from being sent, no real time protection.

I haven't used 7. That said, each new version of Windows has all of the privacy implications of its predecessor, plus a few new ones. Compared to XP, 7 isn't as controllable at a service level, thanks to the way they're integrated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.