TrueCrypt Question on keyfiles vs password

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by pencarrow, Sep 23, 2014.

1. pencarrow

pencarrow Registered Member

Since the TrueCrypt forum is no longer...

Would appreciate a forum member's quick help re keyfiles use.

Been a TrueCrypt user for some time but only use it to setup encrypted files on a drive. I have attempted to understand the Help manual re keyfiles but am still confused about why to use.

Am I better protected using a keyfile or simply a 25+ character/symbol password?

Is a combination of both recommended (and possible)?

Is there a better method than above to protect a TrueCrypt file.

Thx in advance...

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Both methods are secure but the mathematics would lean towards a solid password over a keyfile. I notice this is your first post here. Welcome.

Let me give you years of experience in one comment: Don't cut corners and get lazy: create and save a volume header backup on EVERY volume where the contents are important. They will save your ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ one day, they always do.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
  3. pencarrow

pencarrow Registered Member

Appreciate the input! Don't understand the mechanics of creating/saving a volume header backup, but will look that up in the TrueCrypt user manual and heed your advice (since I do like having my *possibly offensive phrase removed* kept intact)!!

And thx for the welcome. I stumbled onto this site via a search about the TrueCrypt shutdown and appreciated the quality of the forum member comments and responses. I hope to use the forum often.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
  4. testsoso

testsoso Registered Member

why mathematics would lean towards password over a keyfile? what about multi keyfiles?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.