TrueCrypt Problem

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by sinibo86, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinibo86

sinibo86 Registered Member

Hi,
    this is my first message, so, first of all, hello to everyone.
    Then, my problem is similar to the previous post (by Rakoen).
    THis morning, when i tried to mount my disk (whole disk encryption), it said to me"corrupt volume header". So, i managed in restoring it from TOOLS-->restore volume header. Well, now everytime i try to access to my files mounting the drive, truecrypt is able to do that but the mounted partition is not recognized by windows (win 7 64bit).
    If i check the filesystem from TC, it appears to be RAW file system, so CHKDSK is not able to repair it. I even don't know why it appears to be a RAW filesys, while i used a NTFS filesys to create my encrypted partition. I've tried with TestDisk, following the guide:

"Recovery under Windows Run TestDisk, select the drive letter corresponding to the damaged volume, choose None for partition type, Advanced. TestDisk can repair the FAT/NTFS boot sector, ext2/ext3 superblock. "

but i'm not able to save the modified filesystem.

Could you help me finding a solution?
    I have really important files in that partition, and i can't lost them!!

Sorry for my english, but i'm italian:)
    Thank you very much to anyone trying to help me

2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

The #1 rule of data recovery is not to write anything to the drive (which you have already done by attempting to run both chkdsk and testdisk). #2 is to make a backup copy, which in this case would have to be a sector-by-sector clone or image of the entire drive. If your drive is failing then this step is especially important.

Many users skip these steps because they're in such a hurry to get things working again, but if you want to play it safe and reduce the risk of further loss then you should follow the above recommendations.

Next, rather than trying to fix your broken file system or your damaged hard drive (whichever it is) you should first try to recover as much important data as possible using one or more data-recovery programs. These are generally read-only and thus are fairly safe to use. Try GetDataBack, PhotoRec, R-Studio and many others. Each one works a bit differently, and of course there will be a learning curve on each one.

First mount the volume, then use the various data recovery programs to explore the contents of the mounted volume. Save all recovered data to another drive, of course. There can be no guarantees, but hopefully you will find something.

It also would be a good idea to back up your TrueCrypt volume headers to an external file (via "Volume Tools"). This action writes data back to the original disk, but only at the locations of the volume headers, so it's fairly safe. It's best to make a full copy of the disk first, though.

3. redcell

redcell Registered Member

Sorry to say this. By fully encrypting your hard disk, you must prepared to lose any or all your data (though the sole purpose is against physical/local unauthorized access).

That's why another full encrypted hard disk is imperative as a backup unless you can safely store your files remotely somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.