TrueCrypt Password "Misplaced"

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Corruptt, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corruptt

Corruptt Registered Member

Hey guys i wanted to get some input on brute forcing TC. I have a TC file that also has a hidden partition within it.

I do know the password anymore, but i do HAVE the password. It is odd i know lol, basically its like this, i got a random 64 character ASCII and used that as the password. I then put those 64 characters all together into a text file, that is comprised of completely random ASCII characters, it is 237 characters wide by 6993 lines long, 1.65ish million characters total. Instead of remembering a password I'd only have to remember where it was, which i thought i put in clue markers for my self but yea no luck lol

The password is within this text file, I have a decent idea about where i would have put it, so what i tried to do was copy the fully lines at which where i thought it could be then word wrap them at the 64th character. I had to do that 63 times for each line because then the next line would start 1 character later and so on. If any of you guys have any ideas as to what else i could do or try please let me know.

I am using OTFBrutusGUI for the brute force, but for some reason i think i should have found it already with the effort i put into making the password list (issues with the program being unable to find the password maybe?). I'm kind of at a loss atm because i can narrow it down to roughly 150 lines. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advanced.

2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Sounds like fun! Sorry, no specific ideas yet, but I'll think about it.

Are you assembling your word list manually? Yikes! Write a script or even a Word macro or something. And what's this about word-wraps? I didn't quite get that part. I guess it's just your assembly technique, but your final product, your word list of course has a carriage return at the end of each line, right?

Edit: Since you have a hidden volume, there are two passwords. Does the other one work?

3. Corruptt

Simi manually, I'm using UltraEdit. The word wraps are instant and at any character point i specify. What i meant by the word wraps were if i have 1 line of 237 characters and THE password is in that one line for sure, then the only way to try each 64 characters is to have line with a descending amount of characters so it would look similar to this.

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
    bcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
    cdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
    defghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
    efghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

and so on and so forth for as many characters as the password is long, if the password in my example was "pqrs" then it would eventually get to the one where all the ones before that were deleted. UltraEdit wasn't able to or i couldn't find at least a way to delete the beginning characters per line. It would be nice to be able to just have the main 150ish lines and once it runs those it re-runs them with an offset of 1 then 2 then 3 and so on. Does that make sense now ?

Edit: Yes the "Normal" password works.

4. dantz

dantz Registered Member

A script would be more elegant, but I chose quick and dirty. I merely opened two document windows in MS-Word, typed in a very long string of random text and then recorded a short macro which basically walks down the string of text one character at a time. Each time it reaches a new character it selects a specific number of characters from that point forward (I chose 5) and pastes them into a new document, inserts a hard return, jumps back to the original document and then advances one more character. If the length of your password is fixed then it would be very easy to use something like this to assemble your wordlist. Of course this is just a demo. The final version should loop and repeat for a certain number of times, or you can just shut it off when it's gone far enough. Paste the output into Notepad or similar afterwards to get rid of the formatting. There are plenty of other ways to do it as well.

OTFBrutusGUI is a good choice for processing the wordlist. If you're not having any luck then I suggest you set up a small test situation with a known password to make sure you have everything set up correctly.

Here's the macro. I didn't write anything, I merely allowed MS-Word to record my actions. It took less than a minute to create and is just a sample for you to consider, not a complete solution:

Code:
    Sub Walktext()
    '
    ' Walktext Macro
    ' Macro recorded 12/6/2012
    '
        Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=5, Extend:=wdExtend
        Selection.Copy
        Windows("Document2").Activate
        Selection.PasteAndFormat (wdPasteDefault)
        Selection.TypeParagraph
        Windows("Document1").Activate
        Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
        Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
    End Sub

5. Good luck in bruteforcing a 64 word random character password. I think it's time to reformat unless your LEA or forensics o_O Go ask the NSA, they might be able to help.

6. dantz

dantz Registered Member

He's not brute-forcing the password, he's merely trying to find it within a large text file.

7. Corruptt

I think i might try the MS -Word macro and see how it goes. How long would it take to complete a bunch of strings of text ? Does it do it literally as fast as you were doing it or is it expedient and does its own thing and can finish an entire line quickly? Also they are 237 character long, so it wouldn't have to go to the very end because I know the key is in tact, meaning it doesn't start at the end of one and end at the beginning of the next. With the string being 237 characters long there can be a total of 174 possibilities per line. The macro would have to stop after the 174th character and then move on to the next line. Dose all that sound right ?

Edit: What characters does TC not allow to be in a password, I could have sworn there was at least 1 or 2 like ~ or `

Or even if there was a way to compare 2 text files to find a similar string of characters.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  8. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I just edited the macro by adding a "Do Until" statement to make it loop 174 times and then move down a line. (It could also easily be made to keep going through the whole list without stopping.) It takes under 10 seconds to add 174 words to the word list and stop, then you just run it again.

MS-Word may not be the best tool for this job. I found that your long strings sometimes caused weird word-wraps. I had to change the font to 6pt courier to prevent most of them. Also, this was created on a pretty old copy of MS-Word, so the code may not even be compatible with newer versions. Anyway, here's the edited macro. Again, it's just a thrown-together demo, not a full solution. I haven't checked it that carefully, and some of the numbers might be off. Also, I'm sure it could be done better:

Code:
    Sub Macro1()
        Count = 0
        Do Until Count = 174
        Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=64, Extend:=wdExtend
        Selection.Copy
        Windows("Document2").Activate
        Selection.PasteAndFormat (wdPasteDefault)
        Selection.TypeParagraph
        Windows("Document1").Activate
        Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
        Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
        Count = Count + 1
        Loop
        Selection.MoveDown Unit:=wdParagraph, Count:=1
    End Sub

TC passwords can contain any of the 95 "printable ASCII" characters, which are basically everything you can find on a standard US keyboard. But why do you ask? I thought your password was already written out, basically "hidden" inside a large text file. If you're trying to recreate your password a different way then I may not understand the current situation.
    Huh?

edit: Doesn't UltraEdit have macro recording/editing capabilities?

edit2: If you want to give MS-Word a try, I suggest you use these settings to eliminate wordwraps and maintain viewability:
    set the font to Courier 8pt (for easier viewing/comparing)
    set the L/R margins to zero
    set the paper size to 22" wide (the max allowable on my system)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  9. Corruptt

The compare text thing would be say you have 2 text files. They are identical except for a string of characters is different in each. I might have saved the original random characters before i added the key to the text file. so if i compare them them then i can see where it would be in there.

10. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Good idea. There are a number of tools, easily found online, that can compare text files. Although I don't know why you would have chosen to keep the old file, as in your case it's a security risk.

11. Corruptt

I might have left a text file hidden some where on a far distant usb drive or phone that was the original random file. not sure though, was just a thought. The password characters, i remember making a password or trying to one day and using the ~ key and for some reason it wouldnt let me use it until i changed it to _ or -

where exactly did you go to get MS Word to let you do the macros, ive never used them in word before and have no clue how to initiate them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.