Truecrypt password entry hijacked

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by lurningcerv, Aug 31, 2014.

1. lurningcerv

lurningcerv Registered Member

This is in Ubuntu. Normally when I'm entering the password for a Truecrypt volume, each character appears as a dot in the Truecrypt dialogue box. Sometimes, however, a small box appears in the lower right hand corner of the Gnome screen and it shows the password characters (unmasked) as I type them. When this happens, the characters no longer show in the Truecrypt dialogue box. When I try to put the cursor over the lower right hand corner box, it disappears.
    Does anybody know what's going on here?

Update: It is an inadvertent touch to the touchpad that causes the keyboard input to switch from the Truecrypt dialogue box to the Gnome lower right hand corner box. So what I was apparently doing is transferring control from Truecrypt to Gnome or some other software that is running. So at least I know what causes the input to switch But, I'm still puzzled by why a mouse (touchpad) click to the Gnome screen directs keyboard input to some keyboard input dialogue box and where this input ultimately goes.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.