Truecrypt - Partially decrypted system drives

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by KKKas, Sep 3, 2014.

1. KKKas

KKKas Registered Member

Hi,

By mistake* I drecrypted part (~20mb of 250gb) of my system drive using TC Rescue Disk. Of course windows is not starting now. Any idea what to do? I could try to decrypt rest of my system drive (again using TC Rescue Disk), but it would take ~40h and I am not sure if it will be with success.

* I wanted to decrypt external drive with Rescue Disk, but by mistake internal hdd (also encrypted with TC) was loaded as first disk. And I have also problem with that external drive, because ~100gb od 250gb has been already decrypted and I had to defer decrypting (by pressing ESC). After that, TC Rescue Disk is not asking for password and it's not possible to choose "Repair options".

Thanks,
    Kacper.

2. KKKas

KKKas Registered Member

I have found solution to my second problem (Rescue disk stopped working after decompressing ~half of disk)!

Steps:
    1. Connect your external drive (It has to be detected by BIOS)
    2. Before running TC Rescue Disk bootloader, disconnect that external disk (I am using xboot for Rescue Disk booting from USB, so there is time for this when menu is displayed)
    3. Run TC Rescue Disk (there will be errors about no bootloader, no disk, etc.)
    4. Press [ESC]
    5. Press [F8] (Repair Options)
    6. Connect your external disk again
    7. Press [1] (Decrypt system drive...)
    And now you can continue decrypting your drive. Woah!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.