TrueCrypt - Mount to Path in Windows

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by OneBee, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneBee

OneBee Registered Member

In Windows TrueCrypt apparently can only mount to a drive letter. PGP can mount to a path on Windows.

I have over a dozen TC archives and I cannot eat up drive letters.

With the upcoming release, and since Windows has support for this, why cant TC be modified to allow mounting on paths? I would even pay for this as a premium feature, and in fact would even upgrade my PGP license but I refuse to use software that depends on activation (Which PGP does and caused me significant issues)

2. NeilC

NeilC Registered Member

Re: TrueCrypt - Mouint to Path in Windows

Out of interest, why do you have so many different volumes? And what are you doing with the other 10 or so drive letters?

3. OneBee

OneBee Registered Member

I need to keep each one the size of a DVD for easy backup. Many of them are archives and only change ocassionaly but I need read access to them frequently, and occassional write access.

The other 10? Well apps tend to look where they looked before, and smoe volumes are related so if I had to do dive letters they should be sequential, and I have a lot of network drives. There are 5 PC's here and each PC has access to at least one share on the others, plus a few local drives... you get the idea.

PGP and most other virutal drive rpograms offer mount from path as its a Windows feature that they take advantage of.

4. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

It would be nice to have that option to mount to a path in NTFS, but surely you dont keep all DVD sized containers decrypted at the same time? Cache the passphrase/key, and unmount and mount as and when needed?

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

6. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Yes but that still requires the encrypted container to be mounted with a drive letter :(

7. OneBee

OneBee Registered Member

Yes and no. I dont have them all at once, but I never know which ones I need, and they contain data. Programs that access them remember their paths so expect the data always in the same place. So.... I cant share drive letters, or have data change drive letters... PGP Disk has this feature, but because of their activation policy (it caused be a major issue in getting access to my data while I was travelling) I refuse to use it any more.

8. OneBee

OneBee Registered Member

And the TrueCrypt FAQ says Truecrypt doesnt work with that....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.