TrueCrypt Keyfile Lost.

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by cozzyb, Jul 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cozzyb

cozzyb Registered Member

So being a bit of an idiot, I made a truecrypt with no password and a keyfile on a .txt file, and then lost the .txt file, as I said idiot.

So I know truecrypt is obviously made to be super secure, but how screwed am I? if I hold on to the truecrypt will technology eventually get to the point where cracking the default keyfile length from last years Truecrypt is easy?

Or is this pretty much a no hopper?

Thanks

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

You are done, or hold on to your container for 50 years or so.

3. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Was it just an ordinary text file? Perhaps a short one? I've done some testing using short text files (just a few lines long) as keyfiles, and I found that if you can type the exact same text into a new file, it will work. (I was trying to see how hard it would be to recreate a lost keyfile if the contents were known and reproducible.)

Is that a possibility for you? I realize it's quite unlikely, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Incidentally. how did you 'lose' the file? Do you mean that you merely can't remember which file it is? That can be dealt with by running every .txt file on your disk through a cracking program until (hopefully) the correct file is discovered. This operation would be well within the reach of most computers.

Or did you delete the file? Perhaps you can try undeleting it.

Aside from those admittedly slim possibilities, you are pretty badly screwed. If a strong password or good keyfile is used then TrueCrypt is extremely difficult to break into, and I don't foresee that situation changing anytime soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.