Truecrypt: Idiot Help Thread. Help with keyfiles. Please.

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by sofakingwetatdid, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sofakingwetatdid

sofakingwetatdid Registered Member

So, I am not the first idiot to do this but it still stinks.

I have forgotten which file(s) I used as a keyfile. I remember my password. And I remember the directory where for the file.

I used photos, I think I used 3, but I have a couple hundred photos in the directory and subdirectories there. How on earth can I figure out which files I used?

i found tckeyfilehack.py but I cant figure out how to use python and make it work.

2. ed0lla

ed0lla Registered Member

are you on windows or mac

I looked into tckeyfilehack and it appears to be bruteforcing software for tc container files. I don't see anything about this software's ability to identify a key file but I'll take your word that it has that functionality.

you'll need to install python and execute the app from command line, it's not terribly difficult.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Can we just have a TC forum already?

4. sofakingwetatdid

sofakingwetatdid Registered Member

I am running windows.
    Dont take my word for it perhaps I misunderstand the nature of the script. I also cannot figure out how to execute from the commanline of python. Instead I tried to edit the file in ++ and add the requisite info to the config portion of the file and add the executable code at the beginning to make the script executable. That did not work.

I know my passphrase, and I know where the file is, the list is (releatively speaking not outrageous). Is there anyway to script TC using my pass with each of the file possibilities? I think i used 3 photos out of a group of a couple hundred, but it may have been only one photo. Memory escapes me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.