TrueCrypt how to automount without asking password ?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by southcat, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Greeting.

I have one computer with a encrypted container(a file), everytime when computer boot into Windows XP it will prompt for password how to automount the volume without asking password ?

Because i have to let that computer for other people use but i don't want they know the password, but that is no way everytime i go to enter password for them.

I tried to use keyfile but still need to enter password.o_O

Thanks for concerns.

Regards
    southcat

2. ABee

ABee Registered Member

There's no point in having an encrypted volume if you want it to automatically mount in unencrypted form without a password.

Move the data out of that volume and delete the volume. Problem solved.

3. chiraldude

chiraldude Registered Member

As I recall, truecrypt can be run from a batch file with command lines to auto mount a container.
    http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/command-line-usage

I agree with ABee. If you auto mount at boot then the other people using your computer have full access to the encrypted files. Why are you using encryption?

4. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Thanks for the opinions of you guys:). It can use command line to mount with password.

Thanks for concerns.

Regards
    southcat

5. chbarg

chbarg Registered Member

In my case, the laptop's HD is encrypted and when I dock it, an external HD is also encrypted. I am trying to avoid entering the passphrase during boot and again after login in.

Is there a way to use a key file (in the laptop encrypted HD) to mount the external HD?

Thank you

6. george75

george75 Registered Member

I'm not sure how things work with containers in the middle of unencrypted partitions. However, if you turn the container into a separate partition and encrypt the whole partition, then you can use the 'Favorites' facility or the 'System Favorites' facility to automount the partition automatically at boot time if you also have the system partition encrypted. However, you must be using the same password on the partition that you use to log on to the encrypted system. That's because TrueCrypt will use the key in RAM. But that is not what southcat has in mind. Seems the command-line is the way that he will do it.

As for why he would want to do it. He obviously knows. However, one scenario might be a work environment where a team has to work with the container, but outside the team no one can know what's in the container.

Chacun a son gout.

George

7. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Then at some point in the future make a TrueCrypt container for it and move it there.

8. dimension7

dimension7 Registered Member

You can encrypt it with only a keyfile and no password (blank password).
    Then you can place the keyfile on a external USB stick and use a script like:
    http://code.google.com/p/truecryptautomount/
    to automount the disk when the USB stick with the keyfile is inserted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.