Truecrypt Hidden Volumes Lost (partially)

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Jake Lander, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Jake Lander

Jake Lander Registered Member

I made an extremely stupid error and hope to find help in recovering.

I have 2 similar 1TB disks (lets call them disk A and disk B), fully encrypted with truecrypt. All my data were in hidden volumes.

Disk A is the master disk where I put my data and backups of my notebook.
    Disk B is the mirror disk which I synched every 2 weeks or so to be a mirror of disk A, i.e. Disk B is a backup of disk A.

Since truecrypt is unsafe I wanted to switch to diskcrypter.
    So the plan was to encrypt disk B with diskcrypter, copy again my data from Disk A and test that approach for a while. I started to encrypt disk B, paused/stopped the encryption after some hours and took disk B home to continue with the encryption.
    And then the crucial error - instead of selecting disk B, I chose disk A, which is installed at home.
    After 2 hours or so I finally noticed that Disk A's LED was flickering .... instead of disk B. F**k.

So I stopped the diskcrypter encryption process of disk A and decrypted it - in the hope that disk A would be restored to its original truecrypt content. But that was not the case! Truecrypt does not recognize anything on disk A anymore - neither standard volume nor hidden volume, also not via the backup headers that can be selected when trying to mount. There should be recovery headers, but they are nicely stored in the hidden volumes on disk A and disk B - both not accessible; nothing on removable media.
    Is there a way to use the recovery headers from disk B on Disk A?
    Or is there any other way to get disk A back to life?

On Disk B the hidden volume is accessible but after mounting it tells me that the disk is not formatted. I am just trying to recover the data from Disk B via getdataback and photorec. After that I would try a "decrypt whole disk" in truecrypt.

I might find the recovery headers for Disk A on Disk B, but since Disk A should be unharmed after the encrypt and decrypt with diskcrypter I guess that caused unrepairable damage. I assumed that encrypt and decrypt would restore the disk to its original state, but truecrypt ist totally lost on all 4 mounts (standard + hidden, primary header, backup header).

Any help would be great!

PS: I am amazed about my own stupidity in this case ....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.