TrueCrypt File Container NTFS or FAT

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by MrTeckie, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrTeckie

MrTeckie Registered Member

I am posting here because I can't register my email on TrueCrypt. They say it is not a paid account, even though it it.

Anyway, my plan is to create a 4GB standard Container File (Disc 1) on a USB hard drive. I will mount the file as a drive letter and put my data in it. When the drive gets full, I will burn the file to a DVD+R/RW. I will then create a new 4GB file container (Disc 2) and repeat process, and so on...

My question is does it matter whether I use FAT or NTFS as the volume type? Any other advice that I may not have considered?

Thanks.

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

For a regular container file, it doesn't matter...you would just be choosing which file system you felt protected your data better. There may be some benefit to one over the other when it comes to what gets written to the host OS, so you'll have to research that from an anti-forensic perspective.

It *does* matter when using a Hidden OS. The way NTFS works, you end up needing a *much* bigger partition for the Hidden OS if you use NTFS. From a forensic perspective, all devices (hard drives) would be NTFS out of the box normally, so FAT would look out of place...but that's splitting hairs and I use FAT32 for the Hidden OS to save space.

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.