Truecrypt error

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fontaine, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

I have a USB key encrypted with Truecrypt. I tried to use it tonight (been a few months) and I get the error:
    An incompatible version of the Truecrypt device driver is currently running. Required version: Truecrypt 5.1a"
    I have 6.0a installed on my machine. Is 6.0a not backwards compatible? I can't imagine this to be true?
    Any ideas how to access the USB key? Or do I have to uninstall 6.0a, reinstall 5.1a, access the USB key, remove encryption, uninstall 5.1a, install 6.0a, reencrypt with 6.0a?
    If so, that just sucks.

2. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Run your installed copy of TrueCrypt. The application version must match the driver version.

It sounds like you installed 6.0a, and have the USB key set up with a traveler copy of TrueCrypt, which is what you double clicked on. Thats what produced the error.

Start the TC application installed on your system (start menu shortcut or whatever) then attempt to mount the TC container on the USB stick and you should be just fine.

3. Fontaine

Thanks Kookyman.
    It's acting weird, but working.
    Before, I couldn't even click on the drive. Now, I can click on the drive and see the truecrypt files and my container (turns out, I had a container, not an encrypted device, been a few months since I used it).

Weird that it wouldn't let me click on the drive before without giving that error. Now, it all works fine (after having loaded it once the way you suggested).

Should I recreate the volume with the new Truecrypt version? Or is that not necessary? I've never done that in the past...just upgraded Truecrypt and kept using existing volumes.

4. Fontaine

Actually, I figured it out. I had a script running that allowed me to auto load truecrypt on USB insertion. Turns out, when I tried loading that version of truecrypt I got the error. It was trying to load the truecrypt from traveler mode on the USB (obviously). So I need to update my traveler mode truecrypt since I have a newer version on my vista machine (they seem to conflict).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.