Truecrypt easily decrypted now?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by R3XNebular, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R3XNebular

R3XNebular Registered Member

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

R3XNebular, this attack requires that “the target computer is turned on, and the encrypted volume is mounted” (see here) -- i.e., the adversary has physical possession of your running PC.

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Firstly you need to take control of your emotions and not lose control like a young kid and use filthy language.

Secondly, you need to understand the full picture as TC is not decrypted unless its mounted and PC/Laptop turned on. Understand?

4. duk

duk Registered Member

This is a side-channel attack, not a brute force attack or any other against the TrueCrypt encryption algorithm. In this case, the encryption key is recovered through techniques of memory dump.

Another thing, this type of attack may also have success with the computer off (but only until a certain time while the vestiges remain in physical memory).

5. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Which effectively makes this 'old news' in a way. I haven't looked at the TC forums, but I'm going to assume that their response, if the threads even last and aren't deleted goes something like this:

"This in no way is a weakness against TrueCrypt as the container must be mounted for this vector to work, and this is something TrueCrypt was never meant to prevent, and can't be prevented."

6. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I've just discovered another shocking vulnerability and wish to make the following announcement: If you step out of your late-model Toyota Camry but leave your doors unlocked, your keys in the ignition and the motor running, somebody else could step into your car and drive it away! This demonstrates (possibly for the first time) that Toyota Camry door and ignition locks can easily be defeated.

7. R3XNebular

R3XNebular Registered Member

No mean what? I am 13 year old

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

You're pretty smart for a 13 yr old.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Interesting. Will it become part of the larger "recall"?? :D Good analogy though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.