Truecrypt Download Statistic, You waiting?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TECHWG, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

TECHWG Guest

If you look at the statistics for the trucrypt downloads, sub versions eg (a or b) are always downloaded more than a initial release eg (4.3 or 4.0).

Will you download and install 5.0? or wait for 5.0a ?

I personally have installed and am going through the process of moving my data from one partition to the other, so i can make the encrypted partitions from new, so i get the new method which is more secure and faster, i may try the WDE once im settled into the new version.

2. wraithdu

wraithdu Registered Member

Jul 22, 2007
    I think the subversions are downloaded more because they generally are released fairly quickly after the main versions. If you check the news archives, you'll see there is about a year between new main version releases, and usually only 2-3 months between subversions. So I wouldn't necessarily draw any conclusions from the download numbers.

However you could say you're pretty safe if you want to wait 2-3 months for a 5.0a based on the past release timeline.
  3. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Michigan, USA
    I have already downloaded 5.0, and I'll likely upgrade my containers to the new formats for the already mentioned reasons in this forum.

However, I am also inclined to agree with someone elses position of not encrypting my entire drive until TrueCrypt's forums are back online and dialog is re-established between users and developers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.