Truecrypt disk permanently decrypted, now it shows as "unallocated space".

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Icaruz, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Icaruz

Icaruz Registered Member

Hello everyone,

I've got myself into quite a weird situation so let me try and explain it to you.

First of I had a whole disk encryption (divided into two partitions) on my one and only drive with truecrypt. Up until yesterday that was all well.

Then i decided to get me an SSD and upgrade to Windows 10, said and done on the SSD. But during this process my previous drive somehow got affected. I was unable to boot onto it, but I was still able to mount one of the two partitions (the one with Windows 7 on it) in truecrypt when booted on the SSD, not the other larger partition though (which contains all the data that I would want to reach). It was showing up as free space in disk manager and not at all in truecrypt.

So to perhaps be able to repair what ever was wrong with the booting of that disk (using the windows 7 CD) I decided to start up with the truecrypt repair disk and permanently decrypt the whole drive.

About 20 hours later it prompted me that the decryption was done. But this time the whole disk showed up as "unallocated space" in windows disk manager, no partitioning or data on it at all.

So after having used several programs to try and figuring out what has gone wrong I am still where I begun. Seems like the decryption have scrambled all the data or something, previously i could at least access one partition.

I also tried the windows 7 CD to try and repair the booting, but that got nowhere in two hours, so i canceled it and will be trying it again later.

Hope that someone in here might be able to give me an insight into my problem. :)

/Icaruz

2. Icaruz

Icaruz Registered Member

Additionally, I took a look on the drive in WinHex where it states "Invalid partition table Error loading operating system Missing operating system" (see fig. 1) in the header (from line 0 to 1F0).
    And all the other data on the drive just looks like random ramble (see fig. 2), but perhaps that is normal?

http://i59.tinypic.com/2rzxkhy.jpg (fig. 1)

http://i57.tinypic.com/fogevl.png (fig. 2)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.