Truecrypt bootloader lost?

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Pappe, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Pappe

Pappe Registered Member

Hello

I have encrypted my entire hdd with windows 7 on it. later I installed Linux Mint 16 on another hdd without encryption. The day after I installed Linux Mint I couldn't boot my win 7 drive anymore. Where before the truecrypt bootloader would show up now it directly boots from the other hdd.

I lost the Rescue disk unfortunately. :(

I tried mounting it in linux with trucrypt as a preauth volume but it says 'password is incorrect or not a truecrypt volume'. But I know for sure that the password is correct.

The hdd with win 7 is 250,056,705,024 byte large. I tried saving from offset 262,144 to skip a potentially corrupt header file but either the header is located somewhere else or I miscalculated the numbers. I'm not very experienced with this.

Well, I hope you can help me.

2. Pappe

Pappe Registered Member

Btw I tried mounting using the backup volume header and also tried to restore the volume header. Both didn't work.

3. dantz

dantz Registered Member

If you used system encryption then there is no backup header built into the volume. It's on the rescue disk. The only way to restore the header is from the rescue disk.

When you booted to Linux and then ran TrueCrypt to mount the volume, did you use the "mount without preboot authentication" command?

4. Enigm

Enigm Registered Member

And both HDD's where connected at the time you installed Mint ?
    If so, the Mint-installer has most likely overwritten the bootloader on the active (primary) disk .
    Your data is basically lost beyond recovery, unless you find that rescue-disk .

5. Pappe

Pappe Registered Member

Hello,
    something changed. I found my TC rescue disc. But....

When I boot with it my encrypted HDD is not under bootable devices. What now?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.