TrueCrypt annoying issues

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Frankyboy, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frankyboy

Frankyboy Registered Member

Hi Gurus,

I'd like your help for an annoying problem appeared after encrypting an entire partition.

My HD has C:\ and R:\ and after encrypting R:\ I am no longer able to mount the volume since TC says the drive letter already exist.

So I had to mount the volume with different drive letter F:\

The errors is: "R:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect"
    Windows Disk Management sees the partition as Raw logical Volume and I can only forma it.

Does anyone know how I can keep using R:\

Thanks.
    F.

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

After you encrypted the partition (R) you made it no longer accessible to windows. In order for windows to use a partition it needs to see a "filesystem" that it can use and mount. A TC encrypted device based partition doesn't have that (instead of NTFS, FAT, etc... windows sees #$@$@#$). To use the encrypted volume; you can ONLY get to it through the TC control panel by mounting the encrypted partition to a different drive letter.

If you MUST have R for some reason you may attempt to remove the drive letter from the partition by using Disk Management in Admin mode. Its been awhile since I tried to access a drive letter AFTER the partition is encrypted in windows. I am positive removing the letter R (making it available again) would have been a walk in the park before encryption. Another HUGE advantage to removing a drive letter is that the encrypted partition will NOT show up in Win Ex. So if someone clicks on "My Computer" the encrypted partition (formerly R) will be invisible to them.

Currently, if you can still see R in Win Ex then go to Disk Mgmt and remove the drive letter. This should allow you to re-assign it to the mounted partition you will have after opening the volume. Give it a try, its easy.

3. Frankyboy

Hi Palancar,
    that did the trick, thanks a lot.
    I own you a been if you pass by Milan. :)
    Regards,
    F.

4. Frankyboy

5. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

You are welcome. Enjoy!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.