Truecrypt and veracrypt on same PC

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Anjoland, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Anjoland

Anjoland Registered Member

Can truecrypt and veracrypt programs exist on the same PC without any issues? I have a couple ext drives encrypted with TC and dont want to go through the process of converting to VC. Right now everything is working fine, if its not broke then kind of thing. But new drives I want to start using VC.

Thanks.

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

They will play nice together with an obvious restriction. IF you decide to encrypt your system disk (assuming you are on Windows) then of course you can only use one product for the bootloader. Both can be installed and used without issues for archives. Archives being defined as volumes, which are not system disks, either file based or device based.

At the risk of rambling let me make sure you understand the process of "converting" to VC for your external drives. Also, some topical comments about VC and TC compatibilities. System disk aside (ignoring a fully encrypted Windows OS or C drive), VeraCrypt can and does easily open any TC volumes which are created by the last several releases of that software. You can open and have great access to your old style TC volumes using VC alone. However; if you want to keep TC installed even for just accessing encrypted TC archives you can without any problems.

If you want to convert a traditional TC volume over to VeraCrypt AND without re-encrypting the external drive, it is so easy to do!! It is not a requirement that you do your 1 TB or whatever over again. In a nutshell here is what you will do, paying attention to STEP ONE: First, create backup volume headers of your external drives using TC AND backup MBR's of the externals if they are device based volumes. Do not breathe or move until you have both of those items saved and in your hand. LOL! With these items you can always and easily return to a TrueCrypt volume in seconds. The MBR is not a requirement, but it is MY requirement based upon over a decade of coding and knowing what a ***** Windows is to encryption. Just do it.

Now using VC the manual tells you how to easily convert the original TC header over. Using PIM and other coding improvements in the VC package you can and will substantially harden the header on your external drives. That is also true for any hidden volumes as VC is coded so the special address block used in a TC volume is likewise used in VC for hidden volumes. Both products write "apparently" random code in that address block even if there is only one shell volume and no hidden exists. Its a forensic counter measure to avoid determination as to whether or not a hidden volume exists. I have seen the code is compatible in that regard. Thats it!

Please, if you decide not to convert, still make those two backup items I mentioned above.

3. Anjoland

Anjoland Registered Member

@Palancar Thanks for the info and advice. I will backup the header and mbr.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.