TRUE or FALSE: a website question

Discussion in 'polls' started by AaLF, Jul 11, 2009.

?

Can I upload files b4 a website is created to a pending folder

1. TRUE: You must wait for the inside pages/sections to be created.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. FALSE: You can upload now by creating a tempory pending folder.

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. YES - after some fine tuning / tweaking is done.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

G'Day

We (me & wife) are having a Website created. We've got a name and a host. A lot of our site will be downloads of MP3s & Vids and Lecture transcripts (PDFs). The Designer is waiting on me to provide a 'road map' so he can start programming the back pages. Then we create the front page.

So that's gonna take time. I want to start uploading the MP3s and Vids now. He says to wait for the back pages (?) so a destination is ready for them. But uploading is so slow. It'll take weeks (or more) to upload these lectures etc.

Here's the question:

Why can't I just create one big temporary folder called "My Uploads" inside the website now and then later transfer the files to the correct folders when the website is finally created?

2. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Yes you can, decent FTP clients (i use CuteFTP) have a right click "Move to" just like in Windows. So you can right click your temporary upload folder, or highlight a bunch of files and "Move to"

/home/username/public_html/newlocation

This will move them to the yourdomain.com/newlocation folder. Your can also zip them up, upload them and unzip on the server if your server is configured for it which will save time/bandwidth. Ask your host if you can upload any compressed filetypes and extract on the server, or test with a small test file first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.