True Image Wouldn't work on Dell E521

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by klasny, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klasny

klasny Registered Member

v9 It only starts up in Safe mode. tried v10 home and got same results. only starts in safe mode. Is it a hardware issue. It stops exactly same place where v9 used to stop on older machines if you start up your computer with USB hard drive is plugged in. Solution back then would be unplug it and plug it back in when True Image is already loaded. It would rescan HDs anyway. But in this case it just wouldn't start in full mode. It shows you screen when u choose full or safe mode. and then goes logo that its loading. and starting then it freezes. Any solutions?

2. WSZsr

WSZsr Registered Member

I have a Dell E520. 9.0 Home installs and runs but recovery fails. It tells me I have no hard drives!. I downloaded the trail version of 10.0 and it works fine.

3. klasny

klasny Registered Member

Same here. i figured the way to make drivers show, but that trick didn't work... 10.0 didn't help ether

4. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Both the E520, and E521 comes with "Data Guard", or rather the correct term is Norton Ghost 10. Norton Ghost 10 is another "Disc Imaging" program that's an "arch Rival" to Acronis.
    "Data Guard" is basically a Hidden partition on HD's that come from Dell. It has been known to conflict with Acronis because of the "Cntrl + F11" feature. This "Cntrl + F11" is a special feature that allows you to "RESTORE" your Dell back to the Day you first turned it ON.

I personally think Dell uses it to avoid sitting on the Phone for hours helping solve problems. If it sounds to time consuming, Dell Techs will tell you to "Restore" your computer using the "Cntrl + F11".

This is probably where your problem lies. I've read a few posts on here in which Acronis will disable the "Cntrl + F11". So be careful, or you'll mess up this feature.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_e521?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

NOTE::
    I'm not advocating you guys do this. I'm just passing along some experience with Dell computers.

I personally have 2 Dells, and my Nephew has a Dell as well. We both have completely wiped our HD's off, and Reinstalled Windows XP. While doing this, the HIDDEN Ghost partition is Exposed like a sore thumb. We Deleted these partitions BEFORE Reinstalling Windows XP.
    Acronis works great on ours HD's. I personally think it's because of getting those Hidden partitions off.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello klasny,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please collect the following information so we could investigate this issue thoroughly and to provide you with a possible workaround?

1) Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) using Acronis True Image Bootable CD created with Acronis True Image 10.0 Home as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) cannot be created then please do the following:

- Boot your computer from the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home Bootable CD and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears.

- After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet", click on the OK button then and choose "Full Version".

When the screen stop scrolling please write down the output information you receive (last 5 lines), or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens and send the captured information to Acronis Support Team. You can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys to scroll the screen manually.

2) Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Personally with laptops it is the only way to go. In the last few years I have bought an Acer and a Samsung. Both cramed all sorts of junk onto the laptop
    - including usless programs like Norton. Both worked with hidden partitions.

The first job in both cases was to make a full image and then to remove everything from the laptops with Acronis Disk director. Then a clean reinstall - very easy in the case of Samsung as they have the option not to loan the rubbish programs and the machines now operate the way I want them to.

Without ATI and Disk Director I would still be stuck with bloated lap tops.
    Thanks Acronis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.