True Image with sata drives and Dell XPS 410

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mrpub, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrpub

mrpub Registered Member

I have just purchased a Dell XPS 410 which uses only SATA drives. Will I be able to use True Image 9 or 10 with this equipment?

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I don't know about the Dell side of it, but you can use V9 with SATA drives providing you use the latest build, which (so far, he said optimistically hoping for another build with other fixes in) is 3677. The previous v9 build definitely had SATA issues especially under Linux.

F.

3. mrpub

mrpub Registered Member

Thanks, foghorn. Good to hear I'll have SATA usage.

4. WSZsr

WSZsr Registered Member

Sorry but that is incorrect. Version 9 will not work with the XPS 410. Version 9 does not recognize the P965 chipset and the new Intel RAID controller and will not allow you to restore because it can not see SATA hard drivers on the new Raid controller. It will allow you to create the backup but will not find any hard drives when youj attempt to restore.

Version 10 will work on the XPS 410. I learned the hard way!

5. foghorne

Hi WSZsr,

Thanks for your comments. To clarify. The specification which did *not* work with build 3633 and *did* work with build 3677 was the nVIDIA 410 chipset with a (non RAID) SATA2 Western Digital WD2500KS (250GB) hard drive. Cooking on gas with 3677.

F.

6. cmar

cmar Registered Member

I have Version 10 and a Dell 8300. I can do backups but have not found a way to restore. I cannot create a bootable restore media (get error message telling me to use True Image Server).
    I can create a Secure Zone but don't know how to use it to restore the system.

I also just bought a Dell XPS 410. I can do backups with True Image 10 but no recovery there either. Same problem: no way to create a bootable recovery media. I can create a Secure Zone there too, but it's not clear what to do with it.
    Have heard nothing from Acronis Tech support. So guess it's time to go back to Ghost.

7. foghorne

Hi cmar

If you are trying to restore your system partition you won't be able to do this from Windows - you will need a rescue disk.

I can think of two solutions.
    1) install ATI on another machine, create a rescue disk and uninstall it.
    2) Create a BARTPE boot disk. For example see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=880736#post880736

F.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mrpub,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please have a look at this previous post of mine regarding your question about support of Intel® 965 Express Chipset when using the standalone version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home.

Please also note that as foghorne mentioned a possible workaround is to use bootable CD created using Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE allowing you to boot the computer into a Windows-like environment loading the appropriate drivers for any hardware devices installed in your computer at startup.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.