True Image v8, restore to larger hard drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by markdyson, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markdyson

markdyson Registered Member

The 80GB drive in my laptop crashed. I replaced it with a new 120GB drive and, using WinXP's install disk, I created a single full-disk partition on the new drive and formatted it.

Using the latest build of True Image v8 and a recent image of the 80GB disk stored on an external USB drive, I attempted to restore my system with a recovery boot CD. The process required me to delete the partition I had just created on the new disk before I could continue.

After restoring the image the laptop boots up fine but WinXP reports the disk to only be 80GB in size. How do I force the restore process to recognize the full size of the new hard drive, or correct the new partition to use the full drive?

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello markdyson,

The deletion of the partition you created before restoring is normal procedure. That's why you could have restored to the blank new drive (without partitioning and formatting beforehand) with the same result.

To make the restored partition encompass the whole space on the new drive, restore C: again on top of the previous restoration, only this time do it as a partition restore, not as a disk restore (Disk 1 unchecked, partition C: checked). Partition restore will give you the option to resize the partition being restored to full disk capacity, while disk restore doesn't allow resizing.

3. markdyson

Thanks! Does this have to be a 1-2 operation you do from a single boot-up? In other words, even though I've already done one restore and re-booted from the restored 80GB image, can I still just re-boot from the CD again and then do the partition restore on top of the first disk restore I did last night, or do I need to re-do the disk restore and then do the parition restore immediately?

Thanks again for the help!

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

You do not need to redo the disk restore, markdyson.

Just go with the partition restore over the already "disk-restored" drive. It's a procedure independent of the first one.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  5. markdyson

Just putting closure to this problem: the procedure worked perfectly and my system is running great. Thanks again!

6. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

You are welcome, markdyson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.