True Image to Linux Server?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by simusphere, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

True Image to Linux Server? (Solved)

Does anyone know if ATI 8.0 can save images from the bootable media to SAMBA share on a linux server. I have tons of space on that server and no apparent way to save and more importantly restore images from it. This product works great for Windows machines.

If not, is there any alternative that anyone knows about because I need to image windows machines onto a linux server.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello simusphere,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, Acronis True Image 8.0 allows you to save your images on the SAMBA shares.

I recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 8.0 to see how the software works on your computer.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 8.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. simusphere

I guess I should have stated that I already purchased Acronis 8.0. The problem is although I can access my samba share from a windows 2000 workstation I cannot access it from the bootable CD. It doesn't show up on the domain for starters and secondly when manually entering in the ip address like:
    Code:
    \\192.168.69.21\backup\file.tib
    It attempts to connect to a random windows 2000 share that is visible in the browser in Acronis on my domain. The samba share is a directory on the linux sever that has been working just fine on the windows workstation.

I have read all kinds of posts here and of course the user documentation but nothing has helped. If there is a way to access a linux partition that has been setup as a samba share from the bootable CD then I sure would like to know the details on how to do it.

By the way I have tried saving images to regular windows shares and it works great. But I have a lot more space on the Linux server that I need to utilize.

4. simusphere

Problem Solved.

I found a post from back in May of this year that lead me to the answer. All I did was set up the ip address the normal way through tools, options. Then I used Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to the command line and set up /etc/hosts to reflect my severs ip address:
    Code:
    # echo "192.168.69.2 myserver" >> /etc/hosts
    Then use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go back to the main program. Now the samba server shows up in Computeres Near Me.

That should have been in the support documents (users manual) because that is the only way I could access the share.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello simusphere,

I'm glad to hear that you managed to solve the problem.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.