True Image seems to hang at beginning of Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bernard Samms, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernard Samms

Bernard Samms Registered Member

A friend has installed V9 on their PC on my recommendation. The backup drive is an IDE drive using a USB 2 portable enclosure. I have tried the disk on my machine with no problems and it will accept copied files fine on my friends computer. The first time True Image started to run backup ok but halted partway through. We were backing up two partitions and one was a Fat32. I wondered if that could have stopped it so deleted the backup file and tried again just with the NTFS partition but since then it just sits on 0% despite uninstalling and re-installing. It did not ask for the Serial Number when re-installing which is strange. My friend is running Norton Security. Could this be a problem? Any other ideas?

2. Bernard Samms

Bernard Samms Registered Member

Followed advice and put in new driver and bingo, it works!!

3. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Wow, a self-executing support request!

Glad to hear that you found the correct drivers to run your ext USB HD.

By the way, the Acronis Drivers are updated between build releases, so, for those having similar problems, you might try updating to:

Link: The latest version of Acronis drivers

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I am using current build of ATI Home. Everything seems to work fine. SHould I bother to update drivers? I noticed the download is an executable - what exactly happens when I execute this program - is it just an automatic update of drivers?

I hate to mess with something that is working - but would appreciate comments.

5. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

LenC,

Now there's a reasonable request - though impossible to answer. At least, not from what I've seen written about Acronis Drivers to date. Of course someone else may post a clear response and rightly point out that I don't know all the details of many of these ATI issues. But, I am curious, and read these forums actively. I welcome anyone to please correct or contradict this or any of my posts.

It would help greatly if Acronis published detailed ReadMe's to accompany each release, explaining just what was included, and what effect installing the drivers, or build, would have on specific components of ATI.

As far as I know, and, this is a recent change in my understanding, the Acronis Drivers only effect what ATI does while running in Windows. Acronis Support recently stated, and I have asked them to clarify this point, that the Acronis Drivers have no impact on any Boot Mode operations.

The drivers contain....well, certainly drivers to run various hardware, such as SATA controllers, external USB hard drives, and the like. But I think they also update other components of the Acronis process...I'd best stop there as anything more would be pure speculation.

Does anyone know the contents of Acronis Drivers? Is there not a programmer who can look at these drivers, and tell the curious among us just what they include?

Should you update? Unless you are having difficulty runnning ATI on your system, no. If you add new hardware, probably. Will the latest version of Acronis Drivers support your hardware? Maybe. Is there any way to know? None that I am aware of, beyond testing to see on your own system, or perhaps posting here to see if anyone else is using your configuration.

Specifically, running the executable program will install the latest version of snapapi.dll in your Windows/System32 directory.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.